1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I know I said it before, but study kills GAS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 10, 2019.

1. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    I fully understand the task to find THE ONE. Having one bass that perfectly fulfills your needs is the goal. Disregarding the price-tag, because you could have one favourite axe without spending too much. That's the point with the DIY-basses, I think. Not too much money, but in a specific way "custom-built" and with emotional bonding, because it's your own work. I have strong and good feelings towards a Franken-Bass consisting of an old and simple (lightweight) Hohner-Body and a Squier P-Bass neck (with small J-Bass dimensions). Putting EMGs in it - simply perfect. With a bass you like studying is bigger fun anyways.

The drawback with searching THE ONE: you have to get rid of the "candidates" again ...

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the compliments. I had the onboard eq set at the detent for treble and bass. I was only using the bridge pickup. My SWR Silverado was pretty set with everything flat too. I am learning to appreciate going slow. It makes you get inside the music better than sloppily playing at full speed and poorly the harder sections.

TVbass and EmuBass like this.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Practice is the most important thing, obviously. What I also found is - you need some time to bond and really get to know an instrument and all its idiosyncrasies, which is impossible for those who keep selling them and buying new ones in a short period of time. I remember tweaking my first Stingray setup for like 6 months. Little tweaks here and there, based on live gigs and studio time, until I got it exactly where I wanted it. It took time for me to get to know that particular bass as it wasn't as familiar as Fenders I've been playing for years before that.

Bioflava, lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

Bolded: I think everyone has brick walls they have in front of them they need to get over. Some higher than others and these take longer to climb.

After a total of 30 years of playing, my ability to solo over a set of jazz changes is still sub-par, but I think my playing is otherwise solid, for the most part. The soloing thing is probably my fault in that I just never practiced the way I should to be able to overcome that. I probably don't suck at it as bad as I think I do, but I hear things in my head that I just can't do with my fingers, and I am better at it this year than i was the year before.

That also doesn't really prevent me from have G.A.S. attacks though. I can be inspired to play better/differently on a new bass, and trying out other pieces of new gear is something I enjoy.

TVbass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    I think there is a clear difference between the feeling you have with an instrument (handling-wise etc.) and the sound you can get. Mostly you get a good Impression of the feeling / handling pretty quick. Components for the Sound can be changed rather easily (pickups, electronics, strings, ...). The perfect handling together with the right components for your preferred sound leads to the intonation you intend. So this would lead to THE ONE. The KEEPER. The instrument, you will enjoy playing it and studying.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My first really nice bass was a Rickenbacker 4000, the bridge pickup only model. I bought that bass after washing dishes for a summer in a restaurant in Atlanta just before I went to college. For the next seven years, I did not have funds to buy another bass. I foolishly let that Ric go only to realize that none of the basses was like her. It reminds me of something Marcus Miller said in the early Eighties. He said, young get used to bass the same way you get used to a girlfriend. You might meet a new girl who is prettier, wears nicer perfume, and dresses better, but you are so used to your old girlfriend, you might miss something bad about her. Another way he put it was that you might be so used to your that you learned to work around its dead notes. A bass without that dead note, may seem almost like you are getting feedback.

The bottom line is that two or three years ago, I made a conscious decision to have some keepers so I could with them the way I did with my old Rickenbacker 4000.

7. I appreciate your input on this forum cheese- always have.

This story made me think of JK Simmons in Whiplash:

775727EB-104F-491F-AF1F-8E12AEB4401E.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Actually, the best teachers find a way to inspire and motivate each student the way THAT student needs to be inspired and motivated.

Perhaps a lecture would not inspire or motivate you.

But Doc seems pretty inspired and motivated to me. ;)

9. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

Frankly it's all in the delivery.

In the workshops Im taking the teacher there was highly critical of my playing in the last session, out of the six people in there he came down hardest on me. While he didn't say anything in a truly "mean" way he was very specific in pointing out areas of weaknesses I was showing and was basically just like "hey, I know you've probably heard all this before but you really need to spend more time doing these things" if you want to become a better player. He was correct of course, though if I had been a thinner skinned individual it's not likely that I would have returned.

10. Darren02

Darren02 Never stop the groove in order to find a note

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    You sound great! There are some things that can be improved upon, yes, but that comes with time. Of course, practice doesnt make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect! So when youre playing, think about some of the things he mentioned and focus on each one individually and try to get it as good as possible! Once you feel satisfied with your progress, have another go at it and see how it goes! Personally though, i think it sounds great so far.

Regarding the original topic, i firmly believe the magic isnt in the wand, but instead the magician, if you catch my drift. Only a great player can make a great bass sound great. A great player can play the absolute barebones cheapest instrument and it will still sound like the player. Every bassist is unique.
    Lincoln Brewster (renowned worship guitarist) Once visited my church for a clinic. During his talk, he pulled a guitar out of the audience. Supposedly, this was a 50 dollar electric guitar, horribly set up, etc. and he RIPPED on that thing. It still sounded like Lincolns expensive Custom Fender! GAS is fun and all, but i totally agree with GAS subsiding a LOT after getting a comfortable, playable instrument.
    I have 2 Zons and a Spector (All very expensive instruments) and I acknowledge that ill never perfectly sound like the artists i listen to. But the biggest achievement in my opinion that a musician can make is to develop and love his own sound. But most importantly, have fun and express yourself. Thats what music is all about :)
    Sorry, i went off track a little lol

11. Conkal

Conkal

Jun 23, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    Another thing that kills GAS is just gasing around and not buying . I mean ..if you definitely want that one-next-big-thing for you, then research it till it bores the GAS out of you. it works sometimes.

Search all these OD pedals to find the best then search some more and more...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Rich48 and WillieB like this.
  12. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have a lot of basses, some great, some cheap but they are all The One when I play them. I didn't buy them to sound better but because they were cool, different, sweet and apparently to make up for all those years I spent my money on ex wives and children and ignored myself, if you ask my girlfriend.

She smart.

In playing, I've learned the hard way that I will never sound like Jaco or be as creative as Joe Osborn or funky as Mr. Jamerson. But I can play and folks like it.

I keep studying because I love to play. I discover I suck a little less each time I practice or play.

I listen to criticism for what I can get out of it, even if it's from jerkweasels. I try not to take it personally, although sometimes...well, you know.

Doctor, you sound good and are light years ahead of me. Don't stop learning and loving the bass, and let it change you as you grow into it!

Glenn Mac, TVbass and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  13. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Dr. Cheese,
    Man, I like you. You’re doing great!

I’ve been learning/practicing/playing for about a year and a half. My era of GAS is winding down, my focus and resolve to discipline myself is growing stronger.

I’ve taken lessons from two instructors so far: a friend, and from a well-known music professor 2 hours away, and both taught me some valuable tools, but due to my work travel and living out in the sticks, my interaction was too sporadic to get a consistent feel with them...it was hard for them to remember what I was working on the last lesson, and that wasn’t their fault.

But the one thing I want to know is: how often to you get to jam/gig/rehearse with others?
    I don’t get enough, but I get some.

14. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks for posting this Doc! The Rx for gas.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Somewhere, sunlight is breaking through the clouds, and I can hear angels singing.

16. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    'Maybe I should accept where I am. After a supportive pm with Mr. OB (TB member and Fender fan) and some text messagess with my teacher, I decided to fumble along, the best I can.'

How other people hold the bass and finger the notes has nothing to do with you. Fumbling is a matter of perspective. For example, if I could fumble 1/3 as good as you fumble, I'd be ecstatic. Call me a dufuss but most of what I get from Jaco is fumbling to my ears. I doubt your actually fumbling after 40 Years.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Show your teacher this:

Then walk out and get another teacher.

This is text book (below) and doesn't work for a lot of people. It doesn't work for me at all.

It is contrary to Adam Neeley's video above.
    Watch videos of your fav bass players and most of them don't play the way shown below either.
    LH-Thumb-Position---Correct.

Also, you'll have bass teachers who are guitar players who want you to keep your fretting fingers perpendicular to your fretboard while teachers who are actually bass players want you to keep your fingers as parallel (flat) against the fretboard as possible as another way of muting when needed.

Teachers should inspire, not 'rip you a new one'.
    Granted, they're not there to tell you you're great when you're not, but there are better ways to get you to change bad habits and work on time.

I've been taking lessons for about 5 years. I am currently taking a break from lessons as I am working on finger picking. I am a pick player and just felt I needed to do this on my own and then pick my lessons back up when I feel more comfortable playing with fingers, but that was my choice and not my teachers. I still suck and am on my 4th teacher, but I am not ever giving up. My current teacher makes his living from 100% music.

Also, if you've been playing for 40 years why exactly are you taking lessons?

G.A.S. happens from seeing something that you really like or are really curious about. All I can say is don't look and you won't get G.A.S. as much.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

People out in boats on the ocean have the luxury of discussing the finer points of life vests. Possibly accumulating different models and colors since they can’t decide which is “best.”

People floating in life vests out in the ocean have a different set of concerns and priorities.

19. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    It's never too late to take lessons. You don't know what you don't know.

However, if you haven't improved after two years with the same instructor I'd say that's more of an indictment of them than you.

Dr. Cheese and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  20. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    A teacher should kick your ass from time to time.

From what I heard I think you should revisite very basic rythm and without the bass in hands

Dr. Cheese likes this.