1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I know I said it before, but study kills GAS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    No one would tell BB King or Albert King that the way the practice, their positioning, etc. was wrong. If your style works for you and you can still learn to play different styles and theory, then thats all that matters.

I'd find another teacher that will focus on what you want to learn vs re-inventing the way you play, unless you want that re-invention.

DavC and B-Mac like this.
  2. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    How the hell else is the Cheese supposed to know what he is doing wrong?

I never enjoyed getting chewed out by my violin teacher but every single thing she got on me for was legit, and addressing it made me a better player.

I presume the good Doctor's teacher tells him when he does things right as well.

ETA: yeah, learning is a surefire cure for GAS. The day I want to do something and the instrument is not equal to it, then and only then is the time to get a new instrument/amp.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I have to ask... are you a gigging musician?

I assume that you are.

So after 40 years what are you taking lessons for?

What is it that you specifically want to improve?

A good friend of mine who plays guitar did something similar but he went for a specific reason where he thought he was lacking.

He wanted to improve his lead guitar playing as well as to be able to work out lead parts for new arrangements of songs as well as for original songs in his band.

When he felt he got to where he wanted to be he ended the lessons.

I am really happy with my current teacher.

My previous teachers were all guitar players who played guitar in the bands they were in. They all had regular non-music daytime jobs. Although I did learn some things from them I didn’t feel assured I was learning from someone actually qualified professally

My current teacher earns 100 % of his living from music. I wanted to learn notation which was something my previous teachers couldn’t do.

I also wanted to learn some prog and fusion songs which my other teachers weren’t familiar with at all.

Don’t hesitate to change teachers.

4. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I’m Like you self taught 95% and been playing for over 40 years, I can’t even imagine what an instructor would tear me a new one on, but the way I see it, it’s been working for me all this time and to start over again with perfect technique and all that is not for me, hell I must be doing something right I’ve been gigging in bands for 40 years...

Dr. Cheese and B-Mac like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    We all like shiny things, but nothing helps your playing like working on it. Ask a professional violinist or sax player if they "need" a second, third or fourth instrument.

6. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I've been described as a good bass player. I believe those that think I'm a good bass player have never heard a good bass player.

I enjoy my hundred dollar basses, and frequently play them in public, but every once in a while it's nice to show up with vintage fender, a ric, or a nice stingray. I don't think they make me any better... but its like guys that own more than one car.... the minivan gets me to work, the truck gets the work done... but the convertible on a sunny day is just a kick, but remember, no matter what I drive... I'll never be Mario Andretti.

Dr. Cheese, Kukulkan61 and Holdsg like this.
  7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Total Nonsense. A Sadowsky would make me a much better player. Why would I waste money on someone who is not nearly as good as I am when I can use it to buy another boutique bass to sound even better?

8. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    This is gonna seem like I'm nit-picking you, but it's something I've become really aware of lately that sort of pertains to this post. It's also a long response - sorry about that...

I've been listening to a bunch of Dave Elitch podcasts/interviews over the last few months, because I really like his mental approach to drums, music, life, passions, etc. His focus is drums, but his approach applies in many areas. For those who don't know, he's been a founding member in a few notable bands, does session work, and is well known as a sort of 'mercenary' for some pretty major touring acts (Mars Volta, M83, Miley Cyrus, etc). Of equal note, he gives lessons to guys that many of us would think 'why the hell would that dude need lessons?' He's well regarded for his emphasis on fundamentals/feel, serving the band, and critiquing body mechanics for better efficiency, avoiding injuries, etc.

Anyway, he talks on several occasions about drummers coming to him to really break-down their drumming, and mentions that students will often tell him "oh, so and so said to do it this way" or "this guy who has tons of youtube videos said to do it this way". His very blunt reply is often "who the f*ck is that guy? I've never heard of him." His point isn't to trash them as players, rather that the internet and all these tutorial/tips videos often come with an assumption that these players are an authority. He also makes the point with people who go to music school and take their teacher's word as gospel, without really questioning their real-world experience. (i.e. This teacher played as a kid, went to music school, graduated, and then stayed in the system and taught for a living.) Certainly there's value in that teacher's knowledge/academic experience. On the other hand, Dave will raise the point that perhaps there's more/different benefit to working with someone who's done significant touring, gigging, sessions, etc. I argue there's inherent value in both, but I think a lot of people will grant authority to monster players with online followings without really questioning how valuable or useful their advice is to the individual player.

I've heard/applied the technique in that Adam Neely video (applying counter-pressure with plucking hand elbow). Likewise, I can tell from watching his videos that he's a much more knowledgeable and talented player/composer than I am. So I'm not bashing him. That said, I wouldn't consider his handful of credits and his YT following enough of a weight that I would throw it in the face of a teacher I was otherwise happy with (and connecting with). I also wouldn't automatically take a player's technique, tips, or approach as gospel if their following is largely due to YT videos.

This may get some contentious replies, but it's worth thinking about since the online tutorial phenomenon is a very new one with benefits & flaws...

McFarlin likes this.
  9. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    The key... does a boutique bass make you sound better, or is it more like you're just influenced by the new guitar smell? I know a lot of musicians are corporate sponsored, but if those boutique basses were really all that great... Why do so many people play the same basses we can buy at the local mom and pop shops?

10. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Tough love.

two fingers likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As to the teacher, it is important to speak with him/her and let them know your goals, so you can be on the same page.

I was a self-taught golfer for over two decades - was shooting in the high 80s, which is not bad for playing once a week. I decided if I wanted to get past that stage, I should take lessons. The first teacher and I didn't get along - he wanted me to aim for scratch golf. I told him I just wanted to be a decent golfer. I was then handed off to his partner. He understood what I wanted. But I had to break down and change my swing (his reaction when he first saw my swing was "I'm not saying you're lying, but I can't imagine you shooting that score with that @#@$! swing"). Just because you have been playing for a while does NOT mean you can't improve your technique.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    True post.

You can’t buy ability... yet.

Dr. Cheese, plburrows and cosmicevan like this.
  13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    So you've had a month. . . hope you're on the way to fixing all those issues.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've been taking lessons for about 9 months. I asked my teacher to make the rut I'm in more interesting and get me playing stuff I wouldn't think up on my own. We are stretching me all the time.

I wouldn't say my style has changed much, after 50 years that's probably a big ask, but the drummer leaned over after a song and said, "I'm starting to hear those lessons!"

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  15. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    I strongly disagree. I pay a teacher exactly for telling me what I'm doing wrong.

I do not want to give money to somebody to tell me how great I am.

16. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I'd have left there immediately. Just how many lessons do you have with a "teacher" before he critisizes you for things that should have been properly addressed on the first or second lesson?
    Doesn't make total sense to me.
    I am also puzzled by the fact that you're playing Jaco stuff, yet your technique is so poor. Worst teacher ever. You don't throw Jaco at me without some decent fundamental
    teaching in the first place.

17. There is a point for many where the issue becomes "is the bass better than I am?". My contention is that as long as the bass is set up well with good low action and good intonation, it should be a decent tool to learn with. You may think you would sound better with different pickups, etc., but as long as you are not struggling to play the bass because it's ergonomically badly set up, you should be OK. As long as the bass is set up so that it's capable of being played with ease by a good player, then the bass may be better than you are, in which case it's not holding you back.

It also occurs to me that the teacher is entitled to critique technique and correct it, but he should not be doing it in an abrasive way. The student is entitled to call time out and ask for a more constructive critique.

18. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Jaco Octaves! Someone once showed me that riff as a technical exercise - and I was humbled by how difficult it is to execute musically, at speed. Nice to now know the name of the source tune, and very best to Dr. Cheese in working it all out! And your tone and 'tude on that Pedulla are great. Enjoy!

Bass Viking and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am getting used to getting a new one ripped.:D I have actually improved since last video of the first few bars of River People.:smug:

At least I did not have to pay for your honest opinion.:thumbsup:

Xad likes this.
  20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i study music and bass regularly, but: i don't need any more instruments and i may not deserve the ones i have! alas, no GAS for me.

the fact that your teacher kicked your butt and made you think = one powerful lesson! hang in, cheese: none of us can coast the hill unless we've climbed out of the valley.

:thumbsup: