1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Like My Fender Again!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Wrong strings can kill the value and playability of a bass - I know!

I take back almost everything I said bad about Fender P-basses. Mine has been resurrected with Roto 77s and I've had an epiphany.

It really is a handsome chunk of wood, and it has a certain aesthetic 'flair' to it, so I can honestly say that my opinion of all things Fender might have been - er, slightly jaundiced.

I'm better now and the doctor says I can even use matches again.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    pics??

3. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    I just restrung and set up my 1995 Fender P-bass. The truss needed some work which lowered the action some and it plays like a jewel. Smooth as silk, great bark.

It's rather like putting new tires on an older cars. Sometimes it just transforms them....

4. OK - I won't say 'NO' to a request for pixs! :hyper:

HOT OUTTA MY CAMERA A FEW MINUTES AGO.

100_6156.

100_6154.

SEE WHY I WANT A CUSTOM PICK GUARD? LOOKING FOR A WHITE/RED/WHITE but no-one seems to make one.

100_6155.

100_6165.

5. that's a squier

6. Yeah - it is. Still a "P" though - right?

I can re-love it if I like.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Pics look great! A brown tort guard on that would look astonishing!

8. Trying to visualize that. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm forming a thumb rest from a chunk of Cocobolo wood I have lying around, and that might fit right in.
    100_6166.

Will the red clash?

9. Yes, You can. But "Squier with P-Bass Config" would be a more accurate description than "Fender Bass".

10. In my tirade on learning to re-love my P/S I've now added something that I wasn't sure of the outcome - but it's one of the neatest things I've done to it so far with the exception of the Roto 77s.

I did a quick electrical mod ::: HERE

11. TheEnergy

TheEnergy

Feb 23, 2010
    Fender bass guitars are good:),my p-bass is one of my fav bass all-time

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I don't know if this well help you visualize, since they're not identical. But here's a pic of a Sunset Orange Transparent Jazz I used to have. Came with a parchment p/g, but I put a brown tort on it. I thought it looked good. Red is kind of similar, and I think it would look good on yours.

100_0723-1.

13. I always thought red + black = sexy

Fender%20P%20Bass%20Red.

I know how you feel
    I was struggling for years on the playability
    of my Jazz bass .It sounded awesome but I felt like I was playing telephone wires attached to a desk.
    I ditched Rotosound for DRs in a lighter guage
    and it made my Jazz Bass one of my most coveted basses

14. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i kinda know what you mean.
    i have a jazz strung with flats, and since they sounded dead
    i didnt play it much. i was gonna retring it last night, and as i
    plugged in to do a "before sound", i ended up playing for a like an hour.
    i ended up messing with my EQ on my amp and decided not to restring it.
    ill gig with it as soon as i can.

15. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    That will be a heck of a thumb rest. Worthy of Sissy Hankshaw.

16. Awww - you say the nicest things!

I got out the table saw and ripped it into two bars - one is 3/4" thick and the other is 5/8" thick, both are 9" long yet and I am gonna whittle them to what I think is close and finish it off with my Dremel. Maybe a little pistol-grip chequering too.

HANDYMAN'S HINT: do NOT breathe Cocobolo dust!

The Cocobolo wood actually pretty closely matches the fretboard so I think that end is covered OK; a little tung oil and -------

That black PG was neat - still, that tort idea is running around in my head.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Same thing recently happened with my and my Ray. For about 4 years now I`ve been unable to get the traditional Ray sound out of it and it always made me mad. That said, I was never able to sell it either because it was my first 'good' bass. Anyways, I recently installed some Hartke strings on it when Mr. Larry sent me a free set to try out and WOW! It`s like a completely new bass and I`ve never been happier with it :cool:

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I just put a set of GHS light Boomers on my American Standard P and it sounds killer. The old strings were GHS (Sub Zero? something like that) that were very worn and they sounded like crap. Unbelievable difference!

19. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    they DO make Black RED Black