Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I may be getting a rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have about $1500 at the moment...

If something comes through musically, I'll have to get a real rig... my TNT wont cut it anymore.

Otherwise, I'm buying a 1985 Toyota SR5 4x4 Truck...

I am definitely going with a pre/power set up. Heads are a bit limiting, i think.

Here is what I am wanting:

DCM1000 - 1000W Power Amp
    List Price: $ 695.00
    Direct Price: $ 329.99

Pre-Amp, I was thinking GK 2001rb... or a BBE...

I need a rumbly, yet grindy punk tone, and im not really sure which will give me more of that.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If you're going to get a pre/power set-up, go for more than 1000W. Go used.

GK would get my vote over the BBE for your stated needs.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hmmm.....that all adds up to just under $1000. You won't have any problems scoring a really nice pre for the remaining $500 or so. I haven't tried that GK pre, but I am familiar with the BBE. I think the BBE would do the punk tone for you.

-Mike

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Your possible setup sounds a lot like the one I am saving up for. I plan on giong with a single schroeder cab instead though. I was looking at the BBE and the dcm1000, but I finally got to play through at carvin b500 last night....and I liked it..think I'll be giong that route instead.

5. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    definately go used when you can and get as many watts as possible. 2000 is a good number. you might think it's overkill but you'll be thankfull when you play with that guy with a dual rec. or plexi who can't turn down. also check out the carvin b1500 it's a hell of a deal for the power it has. you could almost score one of those and a schroeder 21012 for your budget. that rig would shut up almost any obnoxious guitarist, and would handle any kind of gig. it would also be fairly light. plus you wouldn't need the truck to transport it.
    if you go for the pre/power amp route check into an ampeg preamp. that might be a little more punk sounding than the bbe.(although personally i think the bbe is a great pre)
    the carvin might also be a little clean for you but imo a good clean sound is a foundation for whatever sound you want. you can always add pedals or processors to a good clean sound.

6. Where can you find out about the traynor? Sounds intriguing....

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Thanks smash...

I was looking at those traynors, and i've heard a few at shows here. The one i tinkered with was sweet, but doesnt have the variety of tones...

I know the GK will pump out the punk tone, but it also can be calmed down for jazz band, etc...

if i find a steal on the traynor, ill definitely be on it like white on rice, though. (assuming im can bring myself to lose the woody over the GK :p)

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'd kinda lean towards the truck if i were you
    i forget if you can use an extension cab for the tnt
    another option is to use two amps temporarily till you can swing a big old amp
    i recall is HS there were a group of guys with TNT amps who woudl borrow another one from a member for a gig.