1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I might be opening for Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Largedon, Mar 11, 2009.

1. I just found out that one of the bands I play in might be opening for Victor Wooten this Friday in St. Louis, and honestly, I'm kind of freaked out a little. I've played in bigger venues, but this would be the first time I've ever played in front of a very bass-centered audience.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I know Victor will be cool, everything I've seen or read shows him as a great guy. I just don't want to go up there and screw up in front of this kind of crowd.

I realize that there really is no question or true point to my post. I just needed to vent a little to some people who would understand. Guess I'll be hitting the practice room extra hard the next couple of days.

2. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I hate you:D. But seriously, just relax, Victor's a cool dude, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you get to meet Victor... this will be me>:mad:.

3. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    Time to show off all that woodshedding! Just do your best:bassist:

4. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Just relax and have fun and have a deep groove and you'll be fine.
    BTW: I envy you!!

5. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Represent the STL Largedon! Just do your thing like no one else is there.

6. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    It is going to be a wonderful time. You might get the most comments after the show for once! It is bass heaven!

7. A band I played in years ago opened for Mr Big. The best advice I can give is look at it like a normal show - Don't feel like you have to play more or less for the crowd; just do your thing!

Good luck!

8. I am gonna approach it by just going up there and doing my thing. I'm not going to try to do more than is needed. After 20 years of gigging I've learned that lesson.

Its a good band and I trust in my ability to play. Kind of wish we had some original material worked up but the band has only done maybe 3 gigs and a radio show so far. This is probably the first time I've been a little nervous about a gig in a long time.

The funniest thing is that the rest of the band was wagering on what my reaction would be.

9. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    Cool, where? I live near STL.

10. He'll be at the Pageant in the Loop on Friday. Not sure of ticket prices.

11. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    I think I'd rather do a pay-for-play gig doing acoustic folk jazz jams in a biker bar than open for Wooten.

Or in other words I applaud your attitude.

12. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    They're $22 advance, $25 at the door according to The Pageant's site. Cool, I might try to make it up and cheer you on.

Good luck!

13. eddbassman

eddbassman

Feb 28, 2008
    That'll be a great gig!
    I agree, you just gotta play how you would normally and don't try anything super extravagent to maybe try and impress Victor or anything stupid like that.
    Have a good time!

14. You got it. Just do what YOU do, and do it well. Every bass player appreciates another player who does his part well. :bassist:

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Largedon, I may come check you out! Don't sweat Victor Wooten. The bassheads will be coming there to see him, not you!:ninja: Just do your thing, and do it well, and I guarrantee that you will be fine!:cool:

16. Your really lucky to be seeing him play and even luckier to open for him.

Good luck Largedon. Have fun and just play like normal!

17. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    Congratulations! I am sure you will have a great time. Victor has been very nice every time I have spoken to him.

18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Should be great for you. What sort of material will you be playing?

19. We haven't gotten the final OK to open, apparently all the opening bands get approved by Victor so hopefully he'll like it, but it sounded like a fairly done deal (as done as anything gets in the music business:rolleyes:) I should know something today.

This band does more of the soul/funk type stuff. Along the lines of Soulive, RH Factor, Groove Collective. I'm hoping to add some more 70s type stuff like Eddie Henderson and originals.

We've just been focusing on getting 3-4 hours of covers together first so we can start gigging.

20. I had the same opportunity once, which ultimately and unfortunately fell through. As one of my friends told me, "You aren't going to play the guy off the stage. Nobody is going to expect you to play the guy off the stage. If you try, you're just going to look like an idiot. Do your thing and people are either going to dig it or they aren't."

Either way, you're the guy on the stage and the rest of the bass players in the house (other than Vic) are in the audience, so you automatically win. ;)