1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a book. .to read.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Radical Edward, Jun 8, 2012.

1. I'd like to read a book that's very well-written, can keep me awake for hours, and will keep me thinking for days after I've read it. I need a truly GOOD book to read. My life has been crazy and busy, as usual, and I've come to realize that if I'm thinking all the time,
    ( like constantly ) then I should give myself something really good to think about. Makes sense, right? Anyway, maybe it doesn't, but regardless I 'd like suggestions, people. I enjoy sci-fi, fantasy, and/or documentary/biography-type books. Books that question moral values, society, or the "norm" in any way, etc.

So.. any suggestions and a bit about the book would be appreciated. :3

2. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Writing on drugs. Also the ending of time by krishnamurti

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Try the bible.

-Mike

4. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Tale of two cities is one of my favs...

5. Funny.

6. ubermiguel

ubermiguel

Mar 18, 2012
    Edmonton, AB
    I'm a left-leaning hippie most of the time but Ayn Rand is a pretty interesting (and very misunderstood). Just skip any monologues over 10 pages.

7. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Not to get into a debate. But I've tried a couple times. And it bores me to death.
    Someone should do an updated version.

8. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Read "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski.

http://www.amazon.com/House-Leaves-Mark-Z-Danielewski/dp/0375703764

If you want something challenging, that will make you think, this is an excellent book. It's labelled as horror, but that's hardly accurate. It's a lot of things (most of which aren't intended to be scary at all) and deals with a lot of philosophical and existential questions that will stick with you for a long time. It could be a metaphor for falling into one's self and becoming lost in the dark there, and having to blindly find one's way back upward to reality.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Why is that funny? I wasn't trying to insinuate anything. If you believe what that the bible says or not, there are some great stories in there and they do keep you thinking.

-Mike

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    How about "The Selfish Gene" by Dawkins. Despite his later fame, he only has a tiny bit to say about religion in that book, which you can ignore if you want. But he gives an excellent overview of evolution, and is a fabulous writer.

11. Unfortunately, the Bible isn't very "Well-written" in my opinion. I'm just not quite fond of the way there are so many "chapters". If it was written like a story, I'm sure it'd be thrilling, but as it stands, I just can't do it.

12. ubermiguel

ubermiguel

Mar 18, 2012
    Edmonton, AB
    I'll back you up there. It is the source of much literature and culture in the Western world. Even as a non-believer I find the stories and history fascinating. It can be dry though, I tend to read one book at a time.

13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Good Omens by Terry Patchett and Neil Gaiman is a fun read. and thought provoking if you are so inclined :)

14. Ooh, I think I seen that one there the other day. It sounds familiar... Anyway, I'm definitely going to check into all of these. Thanks, guys. ^_^

15. I laughed too lol, but because of how dry and boring I find the bible. Maybe too many years as a kid having to sit through church services?

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I recently read The Hunger Games and enjoyed it. Another one I read is Do androids dream of electric sheep by Philip K Dick. Excellent story which Blade Runner was based upon.

17. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I just got done with " My Cross to Bear" by Gregg Allman. Pretty good and it reads like he is speaking directly to you in a very relaxed conversation. I liked it.

18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i suggest the local newspaper!

(if you read between the lines, that is);)

19. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    But it's so hard if it isn't double spaced:p

20. Sounds interesting. As far "The Hunger Games", I'm thinking I shuold watch, at least some, of the show first..
    :bag:

Alrighty. It's going on the list.