Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Need a Head!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkfish01, Mar 6, 2005.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I'm in a Christian rock band, and I need a head. Currently, I'm using a Behringer BX1200 (the amp part, at least) hooked up to an Avatar 2x12 in 4 ohms. I love my cabinet, however the amp itself is pure crap. I need something a little more powerful that sucks a lot less than the Behringer, however I'm on a relatively tight budget. I wouldn't like to spend over $300 for a head, but I guess if it's worth it i'll go up to $400. I'm looking for a warm sound with little to no mid presence, and would like as many watts as I can get my hands on. Suggestions?

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Maybe what you really want is a combo amp. Check the "Combo Amp Megathread" which will be bobbing up to the surface shortly. Maybe you also need to read up on the BX3000T Behringer head. I'll see if I can find that one too. :D

3. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    No, I don't want a combo amp. I already have an awesome cabinet, and I don't want to have to deal with combo amps ever again. They're the devil. I don't really want to deal with Behringer again, since their products never fail to disappoint me. I've been looking at the Hartke Model 2000 Bass Amplifier Head, does anybody know about this one? It seems like I can dial in a really nice tone with the 10 band EQ. Anyone?

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Try Gallien Krueger.

They're not what I'd call "warm," but you may like them. They also don't have much of a mids prescense compared to some. Especially when you use the contour button/control (depending on model).

You can get a new 400RB-IV for $400 from Riksmusic.com or MusiciansFriend.com. 280 watts at 4 ohms.

If you're willing to go used, you can pick up a 800RB for $400. 200 watts at 8 ohms, 300 watts at 4.

Give GK a try, it may be what you're looking for, it may not.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    In that price range I'd look for a GK400RB used, I've seen them as cheap as $250, they've been arround for years and have great tone for the buck! You may also find some used Hartke heads for that price, I think there a step under the GK tone wise but you may get more power. In between 4-500$ there are a few Eden Travelers deffinently a step up, but if you see one act fast, they seem to move pretty fast on the used market.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Check out a 400RB-III or -IV. You can get them used in your price range and they push 240 and 280 watts respectively. The sound is phenominal.

7. GK GK GK GK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Come again? You work for GK's advertising dept or something?!?! :p :smug:

9. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    As much as I love GK (I gigged thru a 700 once), it's a little out of my price range. I'm trying to stay cheap, under $300, so please suggest items in my price range. =D

10. comes with a rack to!

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Darkfish, Dude they are out there, if you look hard, I know you could find a GK400RB for 250, it may not be a shinny new one, but they've been makin them for close to thirty years and the old ones still sound better then a lot of the pretty new stuff out there. Just be sure it dosen't look abused, (drink stains,broken pots, missing plugs etc.) I've seen some surprisingly clean ones in that range and they built them solid! I guess Bob didn't want to get his cousin "Freddy Krueger"to get mad at shoddy workmanship! (a little sarcasm)

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, we sound like a bunch of missionaries :)

13. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    If we go back to the original post and you're willing to pay $400, there's an 800RB on bassgear.com that was listed yesterday. Maybe you could try haggling him down a bit.

14. You haven't been paying attention. There are used GKs all the time on ebay in your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7304748935&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1288&item=7305758522&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7305921169&rd=1

15. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Well, what NEW heads would yall suggest? Please, I have a really tight budget, and I don't trust evil-bay one bit.

16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Fine. New?

Here, bite the bullet and get it. Then get back to us and tell us how you like it.

Click here.

:)

Joe.

17. Suit yourself, but the only thing I'd consider touching with a 10 foot pole in that price range is the Ashdown MAG300H.

18. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Let's see...so far you don't want a combo, Behringer, or used...warm with little or no mids, but still only want to spend between $300-400?

Choices are very limited my friend. Looks to me like its either the Ashdown already mentioned (which, by the way, almost looks like it came off the Behringer assembly line), a GK Backline series or one of the Hartke models (2000,2500 or 3000).

Personally, I'd go with the Hartke 3000. Actually, I DID go with a Hartke 3000, which was just fine.....until I could afford my GK.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

19. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Harke 3000 is a little pricey... what about the 2000? 200 watts is still enough IMO.