1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a mic for vocals!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ShazzamDood, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ShazzamDood

ShazzamDood

Nov 3, 2007
    Ok, I need a mic for vocals that is better than the super crappy Labtec mic I have (I think it pick up the guitars good for what it is though, check the quality if you want on the links). The mic is for a home "studio" that's not really a studio, its more like Adobe Audition, a mic, and an amp. It's an incredibly getto setup. I am a no great singer but I just want a mic that doesn't pick up fuzz and distort when I want to raise my voice a bit more.

I am on a very tight budget and I'm not even considering mics that cost more than $100.:rollno: I was looking at the Behringer C1U because its the USB kind but I don't know it it is good. Can you guys help me out, maybe give me some advise or other brands that might be good?

thnx.:)

Links

2. Jones_Stuff

Jones_Stuff

Nov 26, 2009
    Leicester, UK
    What about a used Sure Sm58? They've been industry standards for years now.

3. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
  4. stoolpigeon

stoolpigeon

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville SC
    save a little cash and get a sure beta 87...definitely worth the money...

5. What's the difference between a Shure 57 and a Shure 58?

6. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    The 57 is an instrument mic , which has a small square diaphram cover, not good for vocals close to your mouth.Internals are identical.
    The 58 has a round cover and is designed for vocal use, but no you cant turn a 57 into a 58 by changing the cover.
    Both are dynamic (they dont need phantom power)

7. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    SM57 Great all round mic. If you plan to record instruments too, I would get this one.Works great on vocals.

Sm58 tailored more for vocals, less proximity effect I think. the SM57 has always been a go to mic for just about anything.

Beat me to it.

8. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    SHURE SM58 if you have a normal voice. SHURE SM57 if your voice is either really loud or really trebly.

9. ...or a windscreen on your '58. I have a tinny voice, unless EQ'd, or sing into my covered '58.

Shure also makes a budget version of the 58 (or at least they used to) called the BG 3.0. It's a 58 clone with a mute switch, and cost me about $50 new a decade ago.

10. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    another one here for the SM58. Rock solid, sounds good, and not too expensive.

11. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    Sennheiser 835

12. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    The SM58 is a great vocal mic, in your price range. I use a Beta 87A live and in the studio. You can find them for around $150.00 used, sometimes.

13. For a first mic, get the SM58. For home recording, you can use it on anything with at least o.k. results, it's almost indestructible, and you'll ALWAYS find something to use it on even if, later on, you go to a different vocal mic.

This also applies to the SM57, except it's possible, if someone's careless, to knock the top off the 57. It has a slightly flatter frequency response so, as someone said, if your voice is a bit peaky, it may be a better choice but there's honestly not much in it. Any differences are easily compensated for with mild eq'ing.

14. MasterCrab

MasterCrab

Sep 16, 2010
    You didn't mention what you record through.
    I agree the SM58 is a good choice, but it's quite dull and muddy compared to condenser mics. (like all dynamic mics).
    ( Can be fixed with EQ: less low more high.. )

So if you can power a condenser mic then i would go for one.
    But for a condenser you need 48V Phantom Power.

The SM58 is good if you record two things at the same time, cos it doesn't pick up much else than what's really near it. Condensers do this.

Good cheap condensers:
    Studio Projects, AKG, AudioTechnica. Some people like the Rode NT1 too. I wouldn't get a Behringer..

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Again, a 57 or a 58 is a great standard staple mic.

Our singer LOVES to sing with an Audio Technica AT-2020 condenser. We've been using it to record vocals for a couple years now and he really sounds good with it. It does need phantom, but can be had for under 100 bucks.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021