I need a solid practice amp -any advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleestak, Apr 11, 2004.

1. I'm in the market for a new practice amp. Something I can stick in the corner of my home recording set up and hammer on to practice and play around.

Size is not really a concern, and budget wise I guess around $400 bucks would work. I just want something that sounds better than the old POS I have right now.

I have a Stingray5 and play mostly harder stuff, but dig all kinds of sounds.

I suppose my best bet is to take my axe into GC and see which one I like the best.

Was just hoping to get some advice on what to avoid, or what to look for.

Thanks in advance! :hyper:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    With a 5 string, I guess I'd say that the more cone area the better...
  3. SWR workingman 15

they usually go for about 350-400 used...and they're great!
  4. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I purchased a Fender Bassman 25 last year based on it's tone and size. While it's still a good pick I would suggest you check out the new Roland which has good tone and effects.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I picked up a used SWR Baby Blue II for use as a practice amp, for around $400. Overkill for practice, but it sure is nice having a high-quality small combo available for rehearsals and occassional small gigs.
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And once again I have to sing the praises of my little amp.

The Gallien-Krueger MB150 rocks. It is small. It goes used for about what you wanted to pay. And it sounds good. If you add an extension speaker it sounds really REALLY good.

I got mine to be a practice amp. I have since ended up using it for studio gigs, smaller jams, and coffee house gigs.

It is a keeper.