1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I NEED HELP... GIBSON vs FENDER

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stones18, Mar 6, 2008.

1. stones18

stones18

Jan 28, 2008
    I want to buy a new bass im looking to spend between 1500 - 2000 , its either gonna be fender or gibson, that i know for sure but i dont know. Ive played a couple fenders and they sound F-ing great but stores rarely carry gibson bass's so ive only got to play epiphones and of course an epiphone is not a gibson, so i still can't compare gibson to fender really. I wanted an SG in the beginning but as more time goes on im not sure about that short F-ing scale, its so little, the les paul bass looks good ive read some decent reveiws on it, but ive never heard an actuall gibson bass. Fender ive got nothing but good things to say about thyere bass's but gibson i dont know. so my question to you is who makes a better bass ,when it comes to blues, rock&roll and ect, overal$l what bass should i be buying

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    A p-bass can do just about any style....I'm a fender guy saying that though.

3. Buy a G&L--better than ANY Fender I've played.

4. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    go warwick!!

5. HAHAHHH

fender.....

(rofl gibson?!?! :bag:)

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    the Lp is a great Bass for rock & Blues but can be heavy. A Tbird lacks upper fret access. Both are pricey

You can't go wrong with a Fender, but everyone has one. There is a reason why.

I would by used either way, what ever you get. You can get a great $2000 - $3000 bass used for $1500

A lakland, MusicMan or G&L might be a better choice

7. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    Is there a reason that you are limiting yourself to just Fender or Gibson? There are a lot of really good basses in that price range. I A/B a Gibson SG and an Epiphone SG. The Gibson was just shy of $1,500. The Epiphone was $200. I couldn't tell a difference in sound, fit or finish. It's not the the Epiphone was so great, it's more like the Gibson didn't look like it should cost what it did. I've owned three of the new Fender American Series (2008) Precision Basses and found fit and finish problems with all three. One had electronics issues and rough fret work. I've also owned a Mustang and one of the '51 reissues. I had no problem with the '51 and liked it okay.

You have a lot of options at the range you are talking about. After much trial and effort, I ended up with a MusicMan and a Warwick. I can't get the MusicMan to sound like a P Bass, but the Warwick can sound like the Fender and then more.

If I just had to have a Fender, I would buy the CIJ '51 Precision Bass over anything else in the lineup. If I just had to have a Gibson, I would probably buy one of the $800 faded LP series bass. I wouldn't spend a $1,000 plus on either brand.

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    FENDER

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've only had one Gibson bass. It was a Les Paul I bought used around 1994. It was okay, but I much preferred my Fender '62 Reissue. I only kept the LP for about 4 months.

10. yugo

yugo

Mar 28, 2006
    fenders a more versatile but there are more options then just those 2

11. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Although Gibson of course makes basses, and I don't want to dis anyone's Gibson bass, but I think of Gibson as more of an acoustic and electric g*#tar company. At your price range there are a billion really cool basses to choose from. I'd slow way down and do lots of research.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Fender.

The new 2008 American Standard Series are probably the best basses I've seen Fender build in a long long time.
    Those things continually blow me away everytime I try one. You will not go wrong.

13. Discover your Fender roots. It's in every BassPlayers DNA.
    Get an Epiphone for the Gibson experience.

14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Lakland FTW!!!

15. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I was anti Fender for the longest. Found my '97 deluxe Am Jazz cheap a few years ago.

Im sold now.

16. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    The Gibson EB-3L (long scale SG bass which you probably won't find in stores for that price) is better than any fender.

other than that, a good ol' precision is the best bet. i love the mustangs but they're the same scale as the sg basses which doesn't seem to be your thing.

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I likes me some Fenders, and I likes me some Gibsons. So, my vote would be to get yourself a Rickenbacker. Looks like you'll have just enough money, what a deal.

18. hehehe... the Great Debate. Fender or Gibson, Ford or Chevy, Mac or PC, Apples or Oranges, Blondes or Brunettes.

19. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    If you've narrowed it to Gibson or Fender... I'd go with Fender just because I play Fender and personally think Gibson stuff is overpriced.

20. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008

Go get what you really want. Not what others tell you.

That said: Go get a Gibson. :bassist: