1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need more opinions on ATK300!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Apr 5, 2009.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I've been waiting for a ric for almost 2 years. I'm getting tired and thinking of getting a less expensive bass right away and "stereo-ising" it (basically adding the ric-o-sound feature to a non-ric bass...). First I was thinking about a musicman, but they're not really less expensive than the rics. I've heard good comments about the Ibanez ATK300 and like to hear opinions from people who own one. I've allready read alot of good reviews but I still need to be convinced. Do you guys think I can get a descent ric sound by stereo-ising an ATK?
    Thanks!

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Buy one Buy one Buy one Buy one Buy one Buy one Buy one Buy one Buy one Buy one

The pickups are very different so I don't know if you will get a rickish sound, but still, GET ONE.

3. You could just stero-ize a current basss you have!

4. I thought the point of the two outputs was that they were from different pickups? Which wouldnt make sense with a single pickup bass.

But I'm probably wrong.

The ATKs are nice basses, my ATK400 sounds very similar to my HH ray (both in bridge position)

5. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    thats what i thought at first, but then again, theres a pickup switch on the ATK, so...doesnt that mean i can seperate the outputs? I'm not a pro obviously, so i nedd your advices!

6. Why have you been waiting for a Ric? Is it because of color? MF has all colors but Jetglo and American Music Supply has it in stock right now.

7. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    i live in Montreal and no american dealer ships hear (for some obscur and stupid reason) so i had to order from a dealer here (2 years wait they say...)

8. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    There are two 2 coils that make sound about an inch from each other. You could split those up into different outputs I supposed, but it probably won't sound as dramatic as a ric.

9. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    all i want, really, is to be able to plug each output in a different amp (one guitar amp and one bass amp) to get the chris squire kinda sound (yes, i know it wouldt be exactly the same, but still!)

10. Wow, that stinks! What color were you looking for?

11. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    regular ol' Jetglo (it was supposed to be hear in march, but no...)

12. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    thats it? no other opinions??

13. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Honestly, I think trying to stereo a bass like an ATK would be like trying to stereo a MusicMan humbucker. You could, I'm sure, but why in the world would you? I think you'd be better off stereo-fying a PJ or a G&L.

14. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    Well like a said, the point is to bi-amp the bass. but maybe your right and that the ATK is not the bass to do this with...how about the ATK750 the one with 2 pu's?

15. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    oh come on, is that it? I was hoping for more feedback, here!

16. This is arguably the largest gathering place for bassists from all walks of life that has ever existed. The sheer number and kinds of questions asked here is almost nauseating.

Assuming you've done the prerequisite search and that none of the existing threads answer your question to your satisfaction, it's likely that you've asked a question that is relatively new to the group. This going to lead to a low number of responses. It's possible no one here has attempted this.

Considering the number of people here and the plethora of equipment this site is teaming with the knowledge of, you should ask yourself "why?" instead fo "where are the responses?"

Food for thought.

Mike

17. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah, that's a much better call, I'll say. So long as it has more than one pickup. Bi-amp the neck pickup to a sub (like an 18 or a 15), and the bridge pickup to a 4x10 or 3x8 or something. Or, just use two different PJB cabs. A-heh.

18. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    yeah i guess you're right...too bad the atk750 only comes in one ugly colour...

19. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    I don't know about a Ric sound, but the first time I ever heard a Joe Bonamassa recording, I instantly fell in love with the bass tone, and after some research I found out it was Eric Czar on bass playing an ATK305.

If you want a good idea what this bass sounds like you can find some clips on YouTube of them playing live (I think Eric was in the band through 2005 or 2006). Or buy one of their early records.

20. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I found a few clips of them, indeed the atk sounds pretty good ! (although the bassist is kinda too "passive" for my taste...)