Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some Fusion!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Dec 20, 2005.

1. I already listen to Jaco, and really like the Weather Report and solo stuff, but I want more of a rock orientation, not a lot, just a little. Ya know... some distorted guitars, complex bass playing, guitar playing and drumming, odd time sigs... but still keeping that jazz feel with piano's, sax, trumpet, etc.

I think what I'm lokking for is sort of a Prog Rock/Jazz/Fusion mix. I listened to clips of songs from Bill Clements CD ad I really dig that. Are there any other bands like this I can check out?

2. Yellowjackets maybe? You have to listen to their entire spectrum of music though...

Lately I've really been digging Nguyen Le (check out his album Maghreb and Friends) and Jean-Luc Ponty's "No Absolute Time."

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll take the Miles Davis fusion bands over anything modern. Most modern fusion doesn't do it for me as it sounds like the fusion of elevator music and smooth jazz. Take the music on Weather Channel for instance.

Pangaea is probably my favorite Miles fusion record (and favorite Miles album for that matter), though Agharta is fair, In a Silent Way is amazing as is Tribute to Jack Johnson, and Bitches Brew is a landmark recording (even though I don't like it in comparision to his later fusion work).

Also check out the Mahavishnu Orchestra and King Crimson. Both Classic fusion, back when fusion meant mixing rock sound and jazz structure. Some genre nazis might debate KC as prog, but in my mind prog and fusion go hand in hand and a fan of classic fusion will probably find something they enjoy about classic prog.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  5. Check out the Secret Chiefs 3, not exactly Fusion , but more fusion than the "weather Channel jazz" that Abark speaks of. I think you'll dig em. Theres more than jazz in them though and rock...........

Also check out Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow album.

Maybe Return to Forever or Santana's Caravanersai era . And then there's always Chicago Transit Authority .

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I reccommend you check out GHS (Frank Gamble, Stuart Hamm and Steve Smith). It fits the above critieria and is very very good. Stu really shines through, it's a totally different approach to soloing for him (less slap and tap, it's an very interesting to hear). The prog fusion influence is there, the first record has some very Mahavishnu inspired moments.

The Second CD is more song based and is my favourite, less focus on jamming and chops than the first one (but it's still there!) and more compostionally sound ideas....brilliant stuff, and it has a solo track from each of the three virtuosos (as does the third record).

It's great stuff, look it up!

Also, Attention Defecit (Michael Manring, Tim Alexander and Alex Skolnick) are brilliant. Check them out too, you woun't be disappointed!

7. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Here are some heavier/rock oriented suggestions:

Old Al DiMeola (Electric Rendezvous, Elegant Gypsy, Splendidio Hotel)
    Billy Cobham (Spectrum)
    Old Jeff Beck (Blow by Blow, Wired, There and Back...)
    Return to Forever (Romantic Warrior, Where Have I Known You Before)
    Mahavishnu Orchestra
    Brand X
    Chick Corea Electric Band
    Frank Gambale
    Vital Information w/Steve Smith (recent CD "Come On In" is tremendous!!)

8. Bill Connors 'Return' is also great. Lincoln Goines really smokes on the album and it's great music.

9. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    +1 Definitely! Percy Jones is just out of control.

10. Here's a few bands to check out...

Tribal Tech
    Ohm
    Niacin
    Vital Tech Tones
    Jing Chi

11. Inner Mounting FLame from Mahavishnu Orchestra is smokin'!

12. Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the guys who linked me with websites. No for those who didnt could ya do me a favor and do the same :smug: .

I'll be sure to check all these out. I'll be back with who I liked...

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Some of my favorites:
    Jeff Beck (especially Blow by Blow, and Wired)
    Return to Forever
    Jean Luc Ponty
    Brand X
    Miles Davis
    Dixie Dregs

14. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    From the proggy side of fusion:
    Tony Williams: Believe It
    David Sancious: Forest Of Feelings
    David Sancious: Transformation (The Speed Of Love)
    Passport: Cross-Collateral

Free flowing and spacy:
    Herbie Hancock: Mwandishi
    Herbie Hancock: Sextant
    Herbie Hancock: Crossings
    Eddie Henderson: Realization
    Eddie Henderson: Inside Out

15. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    You are perhaps incapable of using Google or AllMusic?

16. I wasn't aware of AllMusic.

And google can sometimes be annoying, especially with the 8,000,000 results for some searches...

17. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Then here is a holiday gift for you. It is a valuable research tool:

www.allmusic.com

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  19. Thank you.

20. I love the song Mike Stern did with Jaco. It's called Mood Swings.