1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need something gritty!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedCoatMonster, Sep 27, 2009.

1. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    My current set up is a LH500, GK Neo212, and a Spector NS2A. Ive recently sold some gear to fund the purchase of a new head. Im looking to get something can be gritty/hairy/etc., and that is also full and warm. I play mostly rock, and have a $600-$700 fund built up(if my LH500 sells). I would prefer a hybrid head, $500-$700 isnt gonna land me an all tube head Im sure. Also, I have owned a 700rb-II and 400rb(old school) before I got my Lh500 and dont want to go that route again, or the fully SS route if I can help it. I plan on running it through my GK Neo 212 btw.

I know people hate these threads sometimes, but I am truly at a loss. I live over an hour from the nearest music store and do not have the luxury of testing out amps. :help:

2. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    hmm...

As I'm sure you know, the AD200 is the mother of tone for what you are describing. Like you stated, though. It's out of your price range by a good bit.

However, Orange recently came out with a hybrid version that has the same preamp as the AD200 called the Bass Terror.

You should give it a look, it may just be exactly what you are looking for. I'd imagine it would be just a tiiiny but above your price.

3. BlackMetalAkaz

BlackMetalAkaz

Jun 18, 2009
    Your avatar is awesome.

4. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    I actually just watched a video of it on bass gear's youtube but they didnt play through it and the audio was horrible.
    "...and Lot went outside with his de-sexing stick, and waved it around most unsexily..." :D

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    - georgestrings

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I think a Genz Shuttle6.0 would be the ticket. Tube pre, you can dial in as much grit as you want and it is 600 watts and under 4 pounds.

7. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Does anyone have an opinion on the volume and tonal differences between the GBE600 and the Shuttle 6.0? Ive heard it said(i think) that the Shuttle's tube pre is grittier. True?

8. A used Peavey T-Max will do the job and you'll have $400-500 left over.

Mike

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I don't think there are any significant tone or volume differences between the 2 - IME, the main differences are:

The GBE 600 has both FET and Tube preamps, and will go down to 2 ohms, but is also much heavier and larger than the Shuttle series - I *think* the GBE 600 weighs around 20lbs, vs the 4lbs the Shuttles weigh...

- georgestrings

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I had a couple of them - although very good amps, the Genz stuff sounds better to my ears...

- georgestrings

11. T max's are pretty great. It's all about the tube you have in it. I just replaced mine (from a marshall ecc83 to a JJ/tesla 12ax7) and I LOVE IT TO DEATH. Gets great grit.

12. I got my tube head for $800, including shipping and handling.

I hear VB-2's from Peavey are pretty cheap for tube heads. "Can be gritty/hair/etc. and that is also full and warm" seems to be the way tube amps are usually described.

13. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    The new Fender TB series can get gritty as you like, full and warm without the drive channel. Sounds like just what you're looking for.

14. Aint the LH500 a nice head????? Why not simply buy(or at LEAST TRY) a Tech21 VTBASS pedal - all the tube grit U 'sound' like U'd like!

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    ^ +1 True grit.

16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    +1000

17. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    a restored ampeg V4B

18. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I believe the GBE 600 is discontinued. However I thought it was just FET with no tube channel. I think you had to go up to the GBE 750 to get a tube channel?

-Is the Shuttle 6.0 "Warm/Full" as the OP required ? My limited experience with the Neo Pak 3.5 (same voicing) was pretty high mid, bright. But the tube did add grit.

-I was thinking a Walkabout head (used) meets your requirements. Always thick and warm but can get clean-to-super gritty by adjusting the Gain. It's Powerful EQ will get you bright and twangy but the warm, thick nature of the head keeps the bright,twangy from being too offensive.

-Or for more of an SVT like grit you may want to watch for a Mesa Big Block 750 (used).

19. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    It actually is a very nice sounding head, way fatter than I expected. Ya know Ive thought about doing this. It may be a better idea to spend $150 and see how I like it than $5-700. I just get excited! :D

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp IMO/IME would do the trick for you. You'd need a power amp though. But you could get both the pre and power amp and still be within your budget. You can find them on ebay and other places on the web.