Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need your help quick!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danham, Dec 19, 2003.

Which one?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2004.
  1. BTB405QM

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. SRX705

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    I just got my EDA905 back today from Hoshino. Two of the piezo saddles were defective. And lo and behold the neck had completely snapped off taking the neck joint and upper horn with it. The luthite had obviously been exposed to very cold temperatures and become brittle.

I'm going to call Hoshino tonight and ask for a replacement. NOT ANOTHER EDA!!! Or any other luthite bass for that matter. It's between the BTB405QM and SRX705.

I just don't know. I'm thinking I like the simplicity, nech-thru design, and supposed meatiness of the SRX705 over the BTB405QM. But then again the BTB has alot more nifty features. I like a mellow but defined tone. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bawl:

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    warwick...
    leave korea in korea!

get your money back!
    i'm out-

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Post of the year :meh:

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    :D i'm here to help:D

i am not a fan if you cant tell.

twingy twangy not thumpy rumpy... take it for what it is....

ummm plastic bass... no, deal with the same co. 3x????

:meh:

ummm no

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    they both look pretty good. if you have slimmed your choices to those two and only those two, id go with the btb. 18-volt electronics. mmm

6. That is a bummer, Danham.

I'd say Ibanez or the shipping Co. owe you a bass!

I don't know how fragile luthite is, but I don't think it was just clod weather that destroyed your bass, I think someone dropped it hard! :mad:

I've never played the SRX705, but I've played all the BTBs, so they would get my vote. The BTBs are all very versatile. I think they market the SRX705 as a loud, rock type bass.

Go BTB.

Mike

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    If you had to choose another Ibanez, I'd go for the BTB405 (I have one of those). I suspect it has more tonal variety than the luthite offerings, but I've never tried one of them. I'd say "Ibanez...I denounce thee" along with you, but I'm just too fond of my BTB at the moment.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I hear ya bro, twangy is right! My 2 cents, there are a lot better for the money.

9. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    That's what I thought at first too. But the box was completely fine and there were no obvious point of impact marks on the bass other than the neck break.

I'm fairly sure what happened. The cargo compartment on whatever airplane it was wasn't pressurized, climate controlled, or something like that. The luthite got extremely cold and became brittle and actually snapped from just the tension of the strings. From what I hear this will happen even to wooden basses if it's cold enough.

Oh yeah, I decided to ignore all you guys good advice and asked for the SRX705. I think a more meat and potatoes bass would be nice. He said he would have to ask his bosses if he could send me the SRX. I don't see why not, the SRX lists for $50 less than the EDA.:meh:

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    You owe it to yourself to get the BTB. I'm serious. I'm convinced you won't find a better bass for the price. 35' scale, 18 volt electronics, 3 band EQ + sweepable mids (they kick ass), extremely low action and a tight B. Damn nice pickups too. If you like wide necked growl (but versatile) monsters, get the BTB. Now I'm not saying the SRX is bad (hell, I like SRX's quite a bit), but for the money... it's a LOT of bass.

I just love talking about my BTB.:D :cool:

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Get the BTB- it really is a great bass. It is very versatile as well.