Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I played a very weird bass today

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Nick Gann, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    In the Potomac Valley Youth Orchestra, I am principle tubist. This semester, we are playing Tchaikovsky's 4th. The tuba tacets for the second and third movement, and only plays for half of the first, and most of the 4th movement. Such is the life of a tubist :(

Anyways, to the point: Since I tacet for two entire movements, I am going to play DB for those two :D

Today, I used one of the basses at the school we play at, and it had a fingerboard that was very.... odd. All fingerboards I have seen have the constant circular curvature (the radius of the FB). This bass had the constant curvature only under the G, D, and A strings. Under the E string, it angles off, and is a flat board under the E (see my pic for a clarification). Is this because it is a student model, or some new innovation, or...?

[​IMG]

The section of the fingerboard in question is pointed to by the arrow.

2. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    The bass I use has the angle thing just to the A side of the E. Its just sort of a very slight ridge though. I always assumed all basses had this. Actually my cello has a ridge there too. Maybe all my instruments are screwed up, but I think that thing is supposed to be there. I have no idea why though.

I'm curious to hear answers as well.

3. God, you guys are young!!!! I'm just getting used to basses without the bevel!!!

4. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

HAHAHA!!! Wow, that is one of the funniest things I've heard all day!!!

Man, I feel like such a kid :) (17 years old)

5. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I have one with and one without. I don't even notice a difference.

6. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    When I first saw a round one I thought somthing was wrong with it.

can you say geezer

Joe

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow... I feel like such a kid.

[Edit] GEEZER :p ;)

8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    What I'm wondering is what sort of interface Nick used to input his Etch-A-Sketch to his computer.

9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My super duper ultimate skillz on MS Paint :D

It would be awesome to interface an etch-a-sketch to a computer though... Endless fun!!!

10. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    We've been making our basses with the Romberg, but I'd like to hear from the dealers here which they prefer, and what their customers are telling them. I know Jeff would like it rounded, how about Ahnold, Bob Branflakes, the Llady'sMan, and any other dealers? I'll send your responses to Sam if you guys advise a round board. It was a few dealers who were insistent on the bevel that drove the decision in the first place.

:D For Etch-a-Sketch, I stumbled onto some technidal support documentation for it:

FAQ's for Etch-A-Scetch Techinal Support

Q: My Etch-A-Scetch has all of these funny little lines all over the
    screen.
    A: Pick it up and shake it.

Q: How do I turn my Etch-A-Sketch off?

Q: What's the shortcut for Undo?

Q: How do I create a New Document window?

Q: How do I set the background and foreground to the same color?

Q: What is the proper procedure for rebooting my Etch-A-Sketch?

Q: How do I delete a document on my Etch-A- Sketch?

Q: How do I save my Etch-A-Sketch document?
    A: Don't shake it.

11. I personally prefer the beveled fingerboard as do the majority of my older customers. The younger players usually want the round boards since they usually learned to play on school basses that have a round board.
    The ideal would be to make both and satisfy everybody.

12. My Bohmann has neither...I don't know if you can tell by the pictures, but it has a rounded board with channels under the G and B strings!
    On other basses includind Bob Rosses bass, we prefer round.

13. Hey Paul, I'll bet Nick Gann would find your Bowmann fingerboard really odd! Come to think of it, it looks kind of odd to me too! :D

14. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Kai Arvi told me he switched from beveled to rounded a few years back because his customers are demanding rounded f/bs.