1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I-POD ON STAGE

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Sep 26, 2010.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    A guitarist friend of mine asked me to do this gig, he had started a "blues" band and they had a falling-out with their bassist before this(their first maybe)gig.
    Both he and the drummer had I-Pods on stage and were using them to refresh their memories on how the tunes went. They were doing this BEFORE ALMOST EVERY SONG, yea, like on stage while I stood there like an idiot waiting to play that song that I learned well enough to have a simple cheat sheet down on the stage if I even needed it!!
    The keyboard player also ate a peach during a set and tossed the pit into a planter box next to the stage, mid-song IIRC.
    I knew this gig could be rough, wasn't expecting it to be that rough.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    That bassist must have some interesting stories too...

3. tony_clifton

tony_clifton

Nov 14, 2009
    I actually like that couldn't care less attitude with the peach (at least, when done right) :)

But yeah, there are some weirdo's out there. They shoot themselves in the foot, because you don't have to be really good to impress a crowd. If you are not good and make it that obvious on the other hand...

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i want to use my laptop for the noise samples and loops on my new project, but now i am inspired to check my email in between songs and to read the pdf of the mixer manual

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    yeah we have our laptops right there on stage with us. everybody in the crowd is required to bring theirs too, that way we can use facebook or twitter to announce the names of the upcoming songs and the 'thank you's after each song. that way we don't have to talk to the crowd.

6. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Don't forget printable drink special coupons, discounted by putting it on the band's tab!

Seriously, w.t.f.??

Have a rehearsal once a month, if only to go through beginnings and endings, or at least write notes on a songlist - that's too ridiculous, checking a recorded version EVERY SONG.

Drugs catching up to them?

I'd be long gone.

7. making it look easy is a skill that is worth a lot of hard work.....making it look boring,not so much....unless you eat the peach as part of a routine that is worked into the set

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, this was an outdoor happy hour type gig in the courtyard of a nice hotel, a "no jeans/no T-shirts" thing. The best I could tell the keyboardist mistimed his peach on the break, decided to bring it on stage with him and didn't have a place to set it down(certainly not on his Nord!). It was all bad.
    I know there are "weekend warriors" who take their gig's seriously and appreciate the extra money, even though they may not depend on it. These guys couldn't even be bothered to learn the effing songs!! WOOF!!!