1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I smell smoke....

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Oct 22, 2010.

1. So had a gig last night and went ampless, so my bass was in my monitor pretty loud. I am in a post fade monitor and the singer decides in the 2nd song the bass is not loud enough in the main and hits the slider pretty hard. I smell smoke and tell him turn down the monitor amp cause I am too loud but he ignores me.

So now the monitor is sounds like I am playing through a fuzz...
    What happened?
    Did the voice coil burn up ? I thought if I blew the voice coil I would have no sound.
    Sorry if this seems like a rudimentary question..in all my years playing I have never blew a speaker.

2. The death of a voice coil isn't always an on /off transition. As it heats up, it's shape can become distorted causing it to rub in the the magnet's gap, resulting in a distorted tone. I'm afraid you ( or more accurately your singer) has toasted that monitor.

3. so is it cheaper to replace the voice coil or buy a new speaker.. it is a carvin and a driver would be like $99...

Might it be the crossover or is it def the driver?

4. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    Voice coil or replacement speaker run about the same price give or take. I choose voice coil replacement so that all my monitors match. Your problem is not likely a speaker. In the 60's and 70's I would recone speakers routinely. Not once did I smell smoke. Usually a resister, capacitor, transistor flare up and mostly the amp would die. I have seen an output transistor die causing low output and/or distortion. I would take a good look at the amp.

YMMV

5. than ks..makes sense..I used a different monitor last night at that one fuzzed also.....

6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    1) Never have a post fade monitor.

2) Never let a singer touch the mixer.

7. lol Timmy on #2

8. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    This should be in boldface caps with the appropriate amount of exclamation points!!!