1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think I have to walk.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dusty Elmer, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Dusty Elmer

Dusty Elmer

Feb 11, 2018
    Central NY
    I'll try to make this as concise as possible. Might be more of a vent than asking for advice, but I'm open to advice as well.

I play in a fairly successful local Americana band, and have been playing with them for 3 years. I'm 9 years older (35) than the youngest member, and have been around the block a couple times. Since the beginning I've noticed little things that made me scratch my head, things like a mysterious "band fund," delusions of grandeur, and almost always opting to play gigs that are farther away and for less money. That comes into play here.

A local ale house came to me in July to book us, and I checked with the guys and got the okay, gave the owner dates we're available, and we settled on 2 Fridays. The first one being this coming Friday 10/11 , the second one being a month away on 11/22. I confirmed these dates with the guys, and booked the shows. It's a nice little place, very nearby, we've not played there before, and it pays the going rate of $100+ per man.

A week or so ago I got a text from the main booker in the band, asking if I was available for this weird Queen cover show on 11/22, an hour and a half away, full band, with $200 to split between 5 guys. I told him we were booked at the ale house that night. He asked if I could reschedule, and I said no. The owner was good enough to give us 2 good paying dates, this is a good place to book through the winter when things dry up, and it's in my town where everyone knows me, so I don't want to flake out on this guy. Nothing else was said.

So I logged in to our shared band calendar and what do I see? He removed my booking for 11/22 and booked the Queen tribute show instead.

Am I wrong to feel that 1) that's a hugely disrespectful move on his part and 2) that's highly unprofessional? It just makes no sense to me to cancel a good paying job nearby for a low paying job far away, not to mention the fact that we're an Americana band with nowhere near the instrumentation or vocal skill required to play Queen. I don't know man. I think I have to walk.

2. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    Is the "main booker in the band" one of the guys who confirmed the dates you booked? So he agreed to the dates you booked, and now he books another gig far away for $200 for the whole band ($40 each).

I think he's getting more than $200 and he's trying to pull a fast one.

Evil Funk, MattZilla, RodRy and 49 others like this.
  3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Your main booker should have never done what he did.
    I would call him back and discuss it knowing that you will probably end up quitting. But give him the chance to make it right. Nobody will blame you for quitting IMO.

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Let them take the Queen gig, scramble to pull together a band of pro's for the show the 11th, and say goodbye - they just told you they don't need you...
    Yes, it's harsh.
    Pull their admin/edit rights for whatever social media sites they may have, contact the ale house, and move forward.
    Congratulations, you're a BL now.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Can you pull together a new band to play the 11/22 gig at the ale house?

6. nbsipics

nbsipics Very Unorthodox Behavior Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Now that's the question...

7. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    I don't think you're wrong. And that would be my solution. Highly unprofessional of the booker.

8. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

"I'm out. Thanks and good luck."

nozkcb, Ellery, Dusty Elmer and 10 others like this.
  9. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    Send him this:

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if you can get the solution you seek, here in this thread = it's probably too late to keep this group intact, in this way. :)

samey same: unprofessional = disrespectful* ;)

good luck! :thumbsup:

* some get it, some don't.

nozkcb, RodRy, PaulCISSA and 5 others like this.
  11. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Highly unprofessional, but it does happen. But never in my experience for a lower paying gig. Guess I've just learned something new.

The lower paying venues generally tend to not take cancellations badly, especially when they're a month and a half in advance of the gig. Stuff happens. But $100/guy is pretty decent in my local club/pub scene. I'd think twice about cancelling a gig like that just for fear of what my bandmates might do to me!

Do make sure that the place booked has notice that you are cancelling. Don't compound the error by being a no-show.

The course of action you take to address this is up to you.

Dusty Elmer, Atshen, Winoman and 3 others like this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Time for an immediate sit down with the "main booker". Once a date is booked, it's booked. Either you get an agreement, or you are screwed with this venue (unless you can find other musicians to cover the gig).

No matter what, I think your time with this band is over.

13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    How do the other band members feel about getting screwed out a a decent paying gig?

Maybe you are not the one who needs to walk.

RodRy, Timhisattva, mmbass21 and 16 others like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, that's pretty unpro to do that to the band. I'll bet you any amount of money that he's getting paid a good deal more with the Queen band and offered you guys crap money to do their gig so he could pocket the difference. I'd see about ousting the guy, and if that isn't possible, I'd definitely take a hike.

15. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Sounds like a fun band. I'd walk.

16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

You did the right thing by first checking with your bandmates (including your "main booker") to confirm that they were okay with those two dates at the local ale house before telling the ale house that you are good to go for those two dates. You then made the commitment to the ale house for those two dates.

IMO, the "main booker" in your band is a complete "dweebus maximus" for the irresponsible (and totally disrespectful) stunt he subsequently pulled, especially since he (and the other band members) *agreed* to doing both gigs at the local ale house on those two dates, *AND* because you made it clear that you were not available on Nov 22 for the Queen gig.

It sounds to me like you need to hook up with musicians who actually act like adults. :thumbsup:

Plus, he hung you out to dry for the Nov 22 ale house gig without even telling you. I would walk without hesitation. Actually, I would run! :thumbsup:

17. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This. In spades.

RodRy, Bassdirty, punchdrunk and 10 others like this.
  18. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    OP is 35. The rest of the band is 26 or so.... Kids. Durn younguns....

19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Good point! Dump the "main booker" dude! :thumbsup:

20. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    How can an Americana band instantly play Queen songs? Is that something y'all have rehearsed?