i wanna make sure im getting this right here

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by basslag13, Jun 12, 2005.

1. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    hey ok so heres the deal

im trying to do basic recording on my computer. I want to record my bass and use keyboard effects or what not to create drumbeats and other instruments. So i just want you guys to tell me if im getting/looking at the right things to do this correctly.

ill need a sound card/interface, here is what im looking at

MAudio Delta 44 digital sound card

Lexicon Omega Desktop studio (this comes with a sequencer and other things too)

Presonus Firebox

Tascam US122 Audio/MIDI interface

I could also use other suggestions and i have about 400 i could spend on it.

If i get a MIDI keyboard can i just plug it into the interface and use it on the sequencer and also what sequencer should i get?

Im sorry im asking a lot but im really trying to understand this and make sure i do it right the first time around. thx guys :bassist:

oh i forgot to add something. How would a digital mixer play into all this??
  2. What you're planning to buy would certainly give you plenty of options, provided you want them. The only thing you really need to do this, though, is a cheap mixing board, some cables, and an audio recording software program. What I do (and I do exactly what you say you want to do in your post):

1. Plug bass into my amp. Run a cable from the line out on the amp into my mixing board.

2. Plug keyboard into mixing board (I don't need an amp for what I'm doing with it).

3. Run a 1/4" into an 1/8" cable from the mixing board into the sound card on the back of my computer (I use a $20 Hurricane card I picked up at Circuit City).

4. Start up software program (for me, I use Cool Edit Pro), your software program will work fine.

5. Record track in software program.

6. Start up multitrack recording part of my software and record all the subsequent tracks I need.

7. Mix down final mix.

The Delta card will allow you to do this without a mixing board. MIDI is something I don't need, but if it's what you want, go for it.

SOUND CARD: Provided your only doing one track at a time, all you need to look for is a sound card that offers "full duplex" capability (otherwise it'll probably record your multitrack stuff in a lower-bit rate and won't sound very good). Tons of cheap cards out there offer this.
  3. Droog

Aug 14, 2003

Yeah, all that stuff should get you where you are going. I strongly suggest getting a decen interface as apposed to the advise given above. I am sure the 1/8" jack works for a lot of people but a good interface/soundcard will increase your quality instantly. You may also take a look at the Midi man Oxygen USB keyboards. They plug into your usb (obviously) which is nice because a lot of audio interface's are not equipped with a MIDI I/O.

I am not overly familiar with that Lex piece, I would imagine that it is pretty good, though I would say I am fonder of the M-audio stuff. Presonus is also a good piece, I like those guys. Tascam is always crap shoot if you ask me, but there are plenty of other options for MIDI. Have you given any thought to the MBOX? It used to be that you can't use the Digi stuff with other software, but I have not had a problem using it with the Sony software products.

As far as sequencers go, not sure what to advise. I don't do a lot of sequenced stuff. Between Pro Tools, Reason and Acid I can usually get what I need. Though I would not mind having Recycle for making Rex files.

Seeing as you have very little experiance I would suggest getting something that is well supported, Pro Tools, Acid, Reason, Steinberg, etc.. That way you can get help if you need it and also you will get feel for how you like to work and can make better educated decisions when buying things in the future.
  4. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    ok now im confused again.
    are software programs the same as sequencers???

and what exactly is MIDI and do i really need it?
  5. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    A software program can be a sequencer but a sequencer does not have to be a software program, how bout that? Just kidding.

Actually most multitrack audio programs have a sequencer built into them. A sequencer is simply a means of recording and playing back MIDI.

MIDI is not audio. Its is simply electronic pulses that gear translates into instructions such as note values, velocity values and many other numerous instructions. So if I play an "A" note on the keyboar(aka MIDI controller) that information travels down the MIDI cable and either plays the "A" on whatever piece of gear or soft synth it is plugged into. Or it gets recorded by a sequenceer to be played back after the fact. Kinda like a fancy player piano.

If you don't know what MIDI is then no, you don't need it, but if you want to learn something very usefull I suggest coming to terms with it. Especially if you are talking about making beats or any kind of electronic music.

I'd say more but I gotta go. Ask more questions!
  6. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005

ok ok we are getting somewhere... i like this

i will be making beats and writting other parts for my songs.

so if i want to make beats what do i need??
    also, say i want to add a different instrument from my keyboard like violin or trumpet, what do i need to do that?
  7. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    i got questions guys :hyper:
  8. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    OK quick responce, I am out of town so I will expan when I have a chance, tomorrow I would say.

Reason and ACID,check them out. Good programs and a great start for some one like yourself.
  9. Here is a great web page to simply understand what's going on and what you need:

Also, here's the Presonus Firebox, for now maybe all you need:

It comes with Cubase LE software. With this, you plug your bass in, set the gain and start recording. If you have a mic (an example being a Shure SM57), you plug it in, set your gain and start recording. You could plug in your keyboard and start playing beats. There is no MIDI, but you could buy a simple 1x1 USB Midi box for $40 - $50 dollars down the road IF you wanted MIDI. You don't need a mixer. You don't need any other software. And I believe the Presonus Firebox is around $300 - $400. Check out the webpages.