1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to use 6 string bass' strings on 4 string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Negative1, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Negative1

Negative1

Aug 8, 2012
    Hello everyone, I am playing in math rock band and we are a duo, I have a sire V7 4 string bass and I wanted to try using the A D G C strings on my 4 string but tune them to E A D G, in order to get more high frequencies. Is it possible? Has anyone tried it? Do I have to careful about anything particular when I try it?

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    no, you won't get more high frequencies, the strings would just be floppy. they won't have enough tension if you tune them down that much. get steel strings if you want more high end. check out the Strings forum here too.

Jay2U and Omega Monkey like this.
  3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    "More High Frequencies" is really non-specific
    If you want more crispness and top-end harmonic definition in the upper ranges of your bass sound's harmonic structure, use a standard string set - Id suggest roundwounds but some pressurewounds and even Brite Flats can do it - and keep them as new/fresh as possible. This can be done by boiling them a few times as well.

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Sound like you want piccolo bass strings?

elgecko, el_Bajo_Verde and stigbeve like this.
  5. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Isn't there a formula for the best strings for math rock?

6. Negative1

Negative1

Aug 8, 2012
    Can you use piccolo bass strings on a regular bass?

7. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    You can use piccolo strings on a regular scale bass (as long as you buy piccolo strings for a regular scale bass), but then you are into guitar tuning territory (as in, a regular bass above the 12th fret), is that what you are looking for?

bobyoung53 and red_rhino like this.
  8. Negative1

Negative1

Aug 8, 2012
    Yes!

9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Then go for it :thumbsup:

(You may need a new nut).

10. Negative1

Negative1

Aug 8, 2012
    Yeah! Okay great! Thanks for the help! :)

JACink likes this.
  11. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    yes.....conversely, you can just use the octave set in an 8-string bass set if you cant find a piccolo bass set

Scottkarch likes this.
  12. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Kalium has bass strings in all sorts of gauges, and a tension chart so you can get the right strings for your desired tuning.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Charlzm likes this.
  14. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I suppose you could also use an octaver pedal to add in the lower range when desired, or any number of pedals intended to work for guitar.

Check this out: Piccolo Strings on a normal bass?

15. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    This is what you want really: a Bass VI. 6 strings tuned to bass guitar frequency, but with narrow-gauge strings and a short scale. It was used a lot by Robert Smith on the Cure records, and sounds awesome with effects, especially chorus and distortion. e055b22bb0bcd34c877f2c58739c66f3-1200-80.

elgranluis, eJake, plav1959 and 6 others like this.
  16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    OH NO!

el jeffe bass likes this.
  17. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    im sure someone else said this..

take your current EADG bass and loosen to B E A D. how do like that? not much, i bet. same thing will happen with what you propose.

try it, some people like really odd stuff. but i'd be shocked if someone tried than and really wanted to stick with it afterwards.

Solarmist likes this.
  18. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    ...what?

Element Zero and Herrick like this.
  19. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The OP is basically asking, "What are the best strings for octave-up EADG tuning?"

@sikamikanico had the best suggestion (D'Addario Piccolo Bass strings) in my opinion.

Another thought is to use the ADGC strings (from a 6 string set) and use a capo at the 7th fret.

20. Now, THAT is genuinely funny. :laugh:

Larchi, el jeffe bass and DJ Bebop like this.