I want...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by epic!, Sep 4, 2010.

1. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    A Precision bass with a Geddy Lee jazz neck. How do I get this? Fender said they dont sell the necks separate.

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    ebay

3. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    I guess theres no cheap way to do it.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
  5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    yes, that's another option, but for me, i've just always preferred one-piece maple necks.

6. For around the same price as the ebay neck or the Warmoth neck, you could do what I did and have the neck re shaped by a professional luthier. When I got my first P bass, (MIM 50's classic series) I couldn't get used to the P size neck having been a Jazz bass player most of my life.

Not only do I like Jazz bass necks but I really like the ultra slim profile that the Geddy Lee Jazz bass has so I shipped the neck to Michael Dolan in California and he re shaped it for me.

I was able to get the specs of the GL neck from some kind people here on talkbass and I sent him those specs along with the neck. (Although the radius is a bit different) I also had him put new hipshot tuners on and a new bone nut. I'm very pleased with the result and I'd recommend Michael Dolan to anyone. Very professional, courteous and a fast turn around time.

Obligatory pics:

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/bassnyc1/P Bass Mods/

7. Check the e-bay seller reliablefender and you'll probably find everything you need. Great seller, btw!

8. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    If you are budgeting, get a used mim p bass off craigslist for $200. Change the pots and jack out if chinese to CTS and Switchcraft for $13. Sell the neck, $75 return. Buy a used Geddy neck, or go with a slim contour Warmoth jazz neck and Hipshot ultralites. Geddy neck will be about the same price as you can set up a neck from Warmoth, depending on which you choose. You will have a much better neck from Warmoth, and the Hipshot tuners are superior to the Fender. Total cost, under $500.

9. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Fender-Jap...835?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eaf10edab

I think for $480 I'd be looking elsewhere. I just bought a P-body from him, but I got it at a great price because it was an auction, not BIN. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a GL neck for auction.
    I noticed that the GL bass is MIJ. I had a bad experience trying to fit an '09 MIM Jazz neck (same specs and attachment hole placement as an MIA) on a Japanese '62 RI Precision body. I have no idea if there would be the same problems with the Geddy Lee, though. It would have meant drilling new holes for the neck, as well as chopping up a pickguard I had, so I sent it back (with a re-stocking fee). An MIM Standard P-body fit perfectly. Of course, YMMV. Good luck with your project.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021