Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iAMP 800 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Just got mine yesterday from ALLHAILBOBG. Whoa.

It's pretty much everything you would expect. Heavy as hell. Really transparent, uncolored sound. As loud as you would reasonably need. The rest of the guys in the band loved it, as do I. I'm looking forward to digging into the EQ stuff more, but I was able to get great sound out of it just using my ears. Imagine that.

Me likee. I'm going to try it out in a couple of 2000 seat halls over the next couple of weeks.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    First the Bose system, and now this? Who's "Power Shopping" now? :D

I think the 800 head is nothing short of amazing, and the CXL-112 can disintegrate concrete bunkers at 10 paces. When I really need to play at "STOOPID" volume levels, I'll take the 800 and two 12's. Cowabunga!! Enjoy the destruction.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You have a very good memory, DURRL.

Actually I passed on the Bose in lieu of the iAMP. I just couldn't see making 18 trips to the truck just to get my s**t onstage.

I still get to play through the Bose several nights a week, which is great. But I gotta say, this Combo is very nice. One thing I really like is, when I'm soloing, the sound stays nice and fat when I venture up into thumb position. It still sounds like a bass up there.

4. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

But I gotta say, this Combo is very nice. One thing I really like is, when I'm soloing, the sound stays nice and fat when I venture up into thumb position. It still sounds like a bass up there.

May I ask what you're using for a pickup? I'm using a Realist, and I find it doesn't give me a whole lotta string sound, and sometimes disappears when I play up high. I'm playing through a series II Acoustic Image Contra (until the new amp arrives).

I just ordered an iAMP 800 Combo, and I can't wait to try it out. Are you using on outboard preamp to buffer the high impedance of your pickup?

Chris

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    AMT S25B mic, K&K DBT pickup, through a Raven Labs PMB-II blender.