iAmp and Schertler Pre A2 question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Lemon, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Lemon

May 9, 2005
    Hello peolpe,
    I tryed to find a answer in the newbie links several times, If you could point me to it or if some one could answer it here would be great.
    i have a strat-b with a Pre A2 and was wondering if any one has experience running that on a iAmp. Does that work well together ?
    can I get enough gain ?
    Is there a lot of gain left if i turn the two volume Knobs past the
    12 o clock position ? how is it increasing linear or more like exponential?
    the question may seem sillybut I could only try it that far. (Neighbours)
    the sound with that combination was really really amazing with my Bass.
    with the GK RB400 it didnt work at all so I sold it yesterday. I got only hiss and Feedback.

thank you all

2. Lemon

May 9, 2005
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't speak for the Stat-B (is the Strat-B the electric guitar version? :D ), but you should be able to get plenty of gain on an iAmp with just about any pickup.

Again, I can't adress the techspeak, but in my experience with the iAmp 800 (not sure which one you're trying) the "preamp" isn't really preamp so much as it is an input level device. On the model I have, there's an LED with a clip light which shows your input level. I found that I got the best sound out of it when I raised the input level way past 12 o'clock and set it where the green lights would light up and the yellow would only rarely get lit. This ended up looking to the naked eye like the "preamp" was cranked, but in reality it only meant that the input level was set to produce a good solid signal. Once that was set, I never had to turn the master up past "3" (about 9 o'clock). YMMV, FWIW, ROTC, B-I-NGO, etc...

My experience with the GK 400 RB was similar to yours, and I traded mine for a drum kit years ago. :) Good luck.
  4. Lemon

May 9, 2005
    thanks a lot =))))))))))
    that was a good one with the guitar.
    I have my EyE on the iAmp 500 and a Wyzzy Cab.
    the Pre A2 has no clip LED but the output is a standart XLR signal, and it is designed that you can open the input and the output all the way with out clipping because the max output is 1 dB lower than 16 dB wich would make the XLR type signal clip.
    I know that much about it.
    now the XLR goes to Jack into the amp this makes it 3 db lower.
    Now I hope the iAmp with Wizzy can make better use of that signal than the GK, wich is 10 ohms out of the Pre A2 into the 10k or ist it 22k ohm ? active input of the EA with 0.775 volts.