Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iamp volume questions

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by defrost, Jan 2, 2005.

1. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    OK, I just got my iamp 800 and CXL112 in the mail (thanks to Bob and Marc), and it sounds wonderful. I do, however, have a question about the volume. I have not yet had an opportunity to play it with the band, but it doesnt seem like it's getting the volume that I expected. I know you never get a true sense of the volume until you try it out live, but it seems like I have to get the master up pretty high just to hear it.

I did read some posts that talked about the limiter on the iamp, and this is my question: Where would it limit? in the gain or the volume? the "clip" light hasnt come on, however, it seems like the gain overloads rather quickly. at around 2-3 it doesnt register, and then at close to 5 it seems to overload.

There is another possiblity: that I am a complete idiot and am doing something horribly wrong. I have been depending on my old worn-out rig for so long that I seem to be comletely out of the loop with the new rigs, and I just recently switched from EB to DB, so I am still getting used to trying to get this thing amplified.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The preamp on the iAmp isn't really a normal preamp in the sense that it's really more of an input trim control - in other words, its purpose is to set for an optimal level, and let the poweramp do the rest. Do you have the LED's on the input section? If so, try to get the green LED's to all light up on occasion, and I bet at that point you'll have enough volume to blow your shirt forward if you're into that kind of thing.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You also need to watch the low end when you are playing through this setup. It is meant to be played flat(and just a little EQ to shape). It might sound a bit on the "sterile" side from where you are, but out front it kills. Cranking the lows robs you of power.

4. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    That was a concern I had, it seemed like the lows were fuzzing out at low volumes; however, I adjusted the gain on the K&K preamp and that helped.

Thanks

5. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    The limiter action is indicated with the "clip" LED.

The system is increadibly loud for its size, I play with a hard rock band and have the volume typically at 5 (with a CXL112 and a 15" EV)