Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iAmp500 or Thunderfunk...help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iloveloosey, Jun 14, 2004.

1. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    help convince me which one to get! all suggestions will help me make my decision...

i play a '91 warwick streamer stage 1, btw

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    iAMP - smoother, flatter, less of a "character" but more of a studio sound, and much thicker than you'd expect.

TFunk - very ballsy and punchy, growly, with lots of character and a very clear tone.

My regular gigging amp is the iAMP 800 and I love it.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm trying to make this choice myself.

When are you getting some clips of the TF up homes?

My favorite clip so far is the Demeter pre...so if I dig that, would I be a TF guy or an IAmp guy? I think the IAmp maybe a little thick and mid-dy for me, whereas I like the sparkle of the Demeter a little more.

I'm thinking about hooking it up with a Berg 1x12?

Will

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The TF should be up today, sorry it's taken so long! I've been gigging more than normal lately, and the day job is pretty hectic too.

Hmm... demeter pre clip? Then i'd say you like a bright, very clear sound, with little or no "boom". Both amps will easily do that - but i'd say the TF is closer right out of the gate. It's also more like the Clarus which you obviously already like. A bit less flat, with a fuller range sound. Has a very eden-like midrange but not as cloudy. IMHO of course ;) They will both with a little tweaking be able to hit the Demeter sparkle, however, the iAMP approaches more of the clarity and warmth.

Either one will sound incredible with the Berg! The TF will give it lots of punch and an edge, while the iAMP will be more subtle and smooth like the Berg is naturally.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    vanselus

Not to side track, but you mentioned the Clarus. Have you or are you getting the Focus in?

I have a couple on order but haven't gotten them yet. They are the New 600-watt at 4-ohm heads. I was wondering how you might have thought they compared if you had tested one yet.

6. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I haven't played the I-amp but I just bought the Thunderfunk and I love it. It is so easy to use and it is loud!!! It sounds great with my Bergantino HT 322 and the F bass BN 5. I am so happy with this amp. I have finally found the power and tone I have been looking for. I have owned the SWR 750, Ashdown ABM 500, GK 1001, Aguilar DB 359, Ampeg SVT 3 PRO, Kern 777 with Crest LT 1500 and the Thunderfunk is my favorite.

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Not yet at least, although I'd really like to. It's one of the amps of mine that gets the most mileage outside the house. You're a dealer? If you would suggest that to them I'd be grateful - i'd love to hear how the increase in power has changed the sound!

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I am a dealer for AI. I'll talk to them in a week or so about my units on order and mention it.

Brian

9. I have played GK, Trace Elliot, SWR, and Eden. When I played my EA iAmp 300 with an EA CXL210, I nearly died. I bought it on the spot, and I have gotten more compliments about my sound than ever before, AND I HAVEN'T EVEN ENGAGED THE EQ YET! I know they say they go for an uncolored sound, but this thing is the best sounding rig I have ever used!

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
  11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks for the clips!

They both sound really good. It's weird...with some basses the IAmp works perfect and with others the TF seems better. I especially like the 60's jazz and TF clips, they sound really awesome...as does the cool Portrait of Tracy! The Fodie sounds really good on it!

The Clarus clips all sound good too, it's tough when you consider the Focus is out.

Looking at the TF EQ layout, it looks so similar to my SWR 220's layout....pretty much identical. If the earlier SWR amps are AMP descendants and the TF is an AMP descendant, how much difference will there really be?

Basstasters is a phenomenal resource but there's still the x-factor of how an amp *feels* when you're playing it...does it inspire you to slap or play 16th notes with the punch and sparkle, or does it make you want to play long, low notes on the upright? It's impossible to tell until you get to try one with your stuff, I guess.

Will

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx Van, as always, a true asset to the TB. :cool:

and really digging the sounds of the Funk! listening to mostly the Sadowsky clips (but of course... ;)), and found the tones very clear, detailed, and despite my crappy Sony earbuds, punchie to boot. impressive!

i still prefer the fatter, smoother, almost tube like sound of the iAMP, but the Funk sounds like it'd be the live shizz.

FYI, i'm getting a Focus from (ALL HAIL) Bob, which should be here any week now. walter who? ;)

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey willy,

thought i'd add my own schumtin', and say that you're instincts are prolly right. the TF sounds like it'd be more you. my old iAMP350 and HT112 was all tubey, fat, glossly love. but if you want a clearer sounding top end, i'd go TF.

still, a Demeter/Berg would be most sweet. ask Big String. :cool:

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think you're right, but I'm also thinking it might not be that different than my SWR 220...and I'm mostly doing upright gigs deese days! Don't even need the 400 watts, really! I like both the Clarus and the 220 and I think I'll just keep the Clarus for upright and the SWR for electric. (I'm pretty much always doing low volume).

On another point, Joke, I saw a thread of yours re: MPGuitars and I'm digging this one on Matt's site. Not to hijack the thread or anything!

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, definitely impressive. one of the cooler "non-sadowsky" jazzes i've tried. :bag: :smug: ;)

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Cosmetically, yes. That's about it. SWR never had the balls of the TF IMO.

The SWRs really aren't AMP descendants soundwise. They started out with the Groove Tubes front end and never approached the in your face aspects of the AMPs. I owned one of the early SWRs (bought it instead of an AMP, don't even remember why at this point) and for the month I had it it drove me crazy. It required tweaking to sound good and then if I changed basses... start all over again. OTOH from the moment I bought my first AMP BH-420 and plugged it in I knew I was home.

Like I said, while it's great to hear clips, a real life test is the only way to get the full impact of what the TF does. After countless side-by-side comparisons with much higher wattage heads, it leaves you wondering... what's wrong with "them"? How could a 400w amp with no superfluous frills sound that much bigger than heads with double the wattage?

I don't play upright but with any of my fretlesses it sounds downright purty. I'm getting the unplugged sound of my fretlesses with the TF.

It has punch that really needs to be heard, in addition the lows are very open yet easily controlled. The sound flows yet it stops when you do. Very articulate without crossing into the sometimes harsh too articulate area. It's great for slap or fingerstyle.

So far I've used it with several Brubakers, several Fenders (stock and heavily modified), several Elricks, a couple of Foderas, an MTD 635, a Stambaugh fretless 5, Ken Smith BSR-5P, Zon Legacy Standard fretless 5 in a variety of settings. Indoors and out, PA and no PA, with several cabs; mainly Nahas but also Bag End, Eden, SWR, Aguilar, Ampeg. Haven't tried them with my EAs, since I'm thinking about selling them it would probably be a bad idea;)

With all of the above I get the best sound I've ever had with each, with room to spare volume-wise.

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Nice comparison. You've got me interested in it again. Now if only I could find a deal on one like you found :rolleyes:

18. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    I've heard this many times. The way I'd describe it is an 400 HP car with traction, compared to an 800 HP car with no traction. It's more than just raw horsepower.

I also hear this a lot. The other thing I hear is guys realizing their cabs aren't as good as they thought they were. Everyone's invited to come out to NAMM Booth #4068 (near registration) to check it out for themselves. We're also putting together a show for Saturday night with U.S. Masters guitars. Scheduled to appear are Nissi, and Dalia Garcia. Watch my website for more info or at the NAMM show.

Dave Funk

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It sounds like the TFunk is sort of like a Gk. Is that about
    right? Would it lean more to the gk800 side, or the 1001?
    Or am I completly wrong here?

20. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    LOL, duck. Incoming.