1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez 1305 preamp replacement question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CactusBass, Oct 30, 2010.

1. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    Hey,
    So i bought a 1305 (mid 90's model) and it has a stock preamp. The knobs are volume, blend i think, and then two stacked knobs, one for mids and one for lows I think.
    I want to install a new preamp including new pots and knobs. What are my options? i am a noob and I dont want to have to drill or otherwise modify the bass itself. Just pull out old wiring and preamp, solder new one to pickups and battery harness and rock.

Thanks for any help!!

2. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    To clarify my question is essentially, Can i get any 2 pickup 4 knob preamp and assume it works? Does the fact that is a 5 string matter? Or anything else to consider? Can i assume my pickups will be "compatible" with any preamp i get?

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Are the pickups active or passive?

4. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    active

5. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    actually im not quite sure. How would I tell?

6. TBassEurope

TBassEurope

Feb 24, 2008
    Germany
    You wil find your schematic here.
    Assuming it's a SR1305, astonishingly the pickups are active.
    If it's active:
    1) You should find either three wires or two wires AND a connected shield with active pu's.
    2) With inserted batterie and cable, close the voulume pot, if you still find some volts between the two wires of the pu,it should be an active one.

BTW - the stacked knobs are mid-vol/mid-EQ-freq and treble/bass.
    Curious, owning a similar bass with similar electrics - why do you want to change the built-in electronics?