Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez 5-string replacement/backup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crijan, Jul 6, 2005.

1. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I need to put my bass in for a tune-up, but the tech I use has a 2 week backlog, so I'm looking for a backup or replacement for my Ibanez EX series, EXB445, 5-string bass.

I like the string spacing and tone of my bass and would like something similar for definitely less than $800. I've looked at the Ibanez SG series, but I'm a little nervous about switching to an active pickup system. I've also looked at Carvins, but I'm nervous about not playing one before buying.

I play in a hard rock band if that helps (think Smashing Pumpkins, Creed, etc.).

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    You should learn how to do your own intonation set up. No reason to lose your baby for 2 weeks (and spend $45) when you could do it yourself in less then 30 minutes.

Are you actually looking for a second bass to play on? Or a back up? Can you rent something for 2 weeks? Can you borrow something in two weeks?

It is unwise to buy a second bass when you don't have your primary one. Much like going to the supermarket on an empty stomach, you might end up buying a whole bunch of bass that you don't need because you don't currently have one to play with.

3. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Well I'm actually looking for a backup and my wife and family are coincidentally looking for something to get me for my birthday.

The work I was planning to have done was have the pots and/or jack replaced (to fix a intermittent static problem and problem where turning the pots creates static sound) and check the intonation and truss rod. I think I could do it all myself, but am not wanting to screw it up when I don't have a backup to play for rehearsal.

I forgot to mention before that I play fingerstyle, so I also prefer pickups that have a good thumb resting spot.

4. I agree, I do all my own set up work, bridge settings, minor electronics repairs and truss rod adjustments, and have even replaced the nut on the neck. There isn't that much to it... it takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to tweak the bass 2 times a year (Fall and Spring when the humidity changes radically up here) and the intonation and action is perfect.

I used to take it to the shop and have it done until about 10 years ago when I got it back after spending the $$ and no changes had been made. So I checked the intonation myself with my tuner and it was off. I decided right then it was time to figure out how to do it on my own.

5. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hello fellow EX owner!

My wife bought me a Fender MIM Deluxe V for anniversary. It's a great bass, with great tone and a little wider spacing.

For around $800, you should be able to find a pretty decent bass. If you want to stay with passive pickups, check out Fender Standards (MIM), as they will go for around $450 - $600. The same place that had my Fender had one (5 string) in midnight wine for around $450 or so and it played very well.

I modded my Ibanez bass with Active EMGs and their BTC circuit and it really made a difference in how my bass sounded. It has a bit more 'hi-fi' sound to it, but that's what I like.

I'll be stringing it up as a tenor bass when I can find a 'c' string locally and I think with the tighter spacing and pickups, it'll make a nice bass to play chords and melodic stuff on.

Hope that helps.
    JB

6. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    How does the Jazz V compare in weight and string spacing to the Ibanez EX? I can't find a Jazz V in the music stores here in town. Guitar Center said they had to special order one.

I did play a Jazz 4 and liked it pretty well. The neck was a good thickness and shape.

7. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Howdy!

The Jazz V has wider spacing (I don't know specifics, just that it's obvious from looking at both side by side and by playing) and the body on the Jazz V (if I remember right) seems to be lighter (I don't know how; type of wood perhaps), but both the neck and body seem to be thicker than the Ibanez.

I really like my Deluxe because of the thickness of the neck and the body, it seems like a more solid bass. You mentioned you're into hard rock (I'm into jazz/fusion (slap/pop/fingerstyle/chords)) and slapping this bass just feels great. The Jazz 4 should be the same as the V.

I may get a strap today and I'll try and play the Standard V they had there and if I remember, I'll back to you with my observations.

Take care,
    JB

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I have an Ibanez SRX series 5 string, it's active, but it sounds pretty nice. It's about 700 dollars so it's within your budget. But the bass has it's flaws, andI'm returning mine so I'd suggest either the SR505 (active pickups, but sounds good) and it's about $500. The other bass is a passive bass and it's the BTB405. There's my 2 cents.

oh, if you're willing to spend a little more th 800, go look at the BTB1205ENTF, great bass, but it's around 1000 dollars.

Good luck,
    Greg

9. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I got a chance to look at that standard V on Friday.

I didn't play it because I was short on time, but from holding it I remember it had a thicker neck than my IB. I liked that because I have big paws. :)

I really didn't notice that it was heavy, per se. I've picked up other basses that you could tell right away that they were heavy, but this one wasn't.

I'll be going back to the music store next week. Should I check on anything else about it when I go back?

JB

10. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    So my wife got me a used Fender J-Bass USA 5 string and I think I don't like it. The neck is much wider which makes it hard for me to play different hand positions.

Anyone else that plays with their thumb on top of the neck sometimes that can recommend a 5 string to replace my Ibanez EXB445? I think I will entertain active basses now as long as they have the narrower neck that seems to be more important to me.