Ibanez ATK 400, i fixed the bright sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eternalice, Sep 12, 2004.

1. eternalice

Sep 12, 2004
    hi all,

i own a Ibanez ATK 400 (Korean), i like the bass much, but i does not sound Musicman like. The sound is to high and has not the MM-Power in it. When the electronic is bypassed (by a wire) the sound is deep and rich. I reviewed the electronic and saw that the Condenser C11 is to small, i replaced it with a 22µF. Now this Bass is a Killer, real deep with lots of highs, and it is kicking like a MM.
    Maybe this is not valid fot the US ATK´s. I read only good things in the forum about them, but the Korean...

When someone want to fix his Korean ATK, please contact me if you need help.

best regards
  2. ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Cool, I have an ATK 305 and will check if I find the condenser c11 in there.

How exactly did you bypass the electronics by wire? I would like to try this first before I start with soldering. But, I have to admit that I'm a beginner in electronics and soldering, so please explain it in a language that even I will understand :rollno:

Thanx a lot!

3. eternalice

Sep 12, 2004
    the quick and simple (but not the technical correct) version:

- remove the battery
    - bypass the electronic by connecting the orange and the yellow wire, or output-pin to 5-way-switch if the colours are different to my bass.

the correct way:

desolder the orange and yellow wires from the electronic and connects them.
  4. What was the original value for your C11 capacitor ? (the one near the volume pot, right ?)
    Mine says 2A473J.
    I ask this because I bypassed the electronics like you said (connecting the yellow and orange wires) and I couldn't hear any difference in deepness and just a tiny bit off difference in brightness ...
  5. cunesk8

Feb 21, 2009
    Hi Guy! I have the same problem. Can you help me? I have ibanez ATk400 , but sound is not as MM. :crying:
  6. I hate to bring up a dead thread, but on the topic of ATK mods on the Pre-amp, can I also change the trimmer pot to lower the output of the preamp even further?