1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez ATK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickrs540, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I was searching the local CL and came up with this beauty.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/3194655933.html

I see alot of people on TB going on about how great these basses are. I've never played one, but this deal just seems to good to pass it up. I emailed the seller and hopefully it's still availiable.

I'm just curious about the model. I haven't seen any like this before. He says its a special edition and it looks fantastic from what I can see.

Does any one have any Thoughts/Oppinions/Experience possibly with the model. :bassist:

2. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Lovely bass. I have a 1995 ATK500KA that I just bought from a TB'r a couple weeks ago. It's awesome. That is a great price for that bass. I'd be all over it.

3. Sweet. I'm definitly excited about checking it out. Is there strong features I should know about the ATKs? Necks size/Pups/Weight/balance?

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That's an ATK750. The body cap is Koa wood and you can see it has the neck pickup w/5-way selector lever. I assume it's from the last run, made in 2008.

I think it's going to be a little heavy (most ATKs are anyway) but it's very nice and a good price.

Best of luck on the deal.

Bob

5. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Well, my ATK has only the triple coil pickup. I've never messed with one that has the extra J pickup. I'm sure it's excellent, though. I'd say the weight is around 10 lbs, or so.

6. Silens

Silens

Dec 27, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is a strong feature, but the ATK pickup is a triple coil, not like the phantom coil set up, but three coils in lines

7. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you've never played an ATK you should get the neck dimensions. Play a similar one if you can find one. I had a lefty for a while (not the same model) and just couldn't get comfortable with the neck. It was insanely big, like a giant softball bat.

8. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That's because you're too used to the Ashbory, spigmu ;)

The neck profile is more along the lines of a P bass, I don't think it will give you a real problem.

Bob

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Go play one. I'm not usually a "chunky neck" kind of guy, but this bass just fits my hands well, and is a joy to play.
    And I LOVE it in Koa.

10. Just set up a time to meet up. Gonna go check it out at 630 tonight. I'm so stoked to check it out. From what I hear from you guys and the pics it looks like it will be perfect for what i'm looking for......Well at least in a 4 string. Now if this thing was a 6er I would be in love.

11. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Yeah!

12. Martiluk

Martiluk

Apr 13, 2011
    Buy it now! I owned one a couple years back and looking back it should have never gotten sold. Great, super versatile tones out of it.

13. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  14. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    hahaha, yeah, well : ) ...

Actually I was 80% on my P in the mid '80s when I got the ATK. I must have gotten an especially chunky model. It was much bigger than my P neck. Bummed me because I loved the look.

15. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    nickrs540,

How'd the meet-up work out?

Got an ATK750 to show us?

Bob

16. Sorry I haven't been able to update. Don't have a computer at home so I had to wait till I got to work.

The meet up went great. Just walked in sat with it and fell in love. This bass is amazing. The Koa top is absolutely beautiful. Everything was so well done on this bass it's outstanding and it sounds even better then it looks. These pups are amazing. THe 5 way switch can give me any type of tone i'm looking for. It's like have 4 basses all in one.

I wish I could put up some good pics to show it off, but all I got is a crappy camera phone. I'll throw one on that I took, but it doesn't nearly show how amazing this bass is. Eventually I'll get some good ones and post em' in the ATK club.

Honestly the only thing that is going to bother me about this bass is how amazing condition it is. I'm going to be so over protective with it. I'm used to having semi beater basses. Other then that it's the best $380 i've spent in a long time.

17. BEAUTIFUL! congrats

18. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Looks awesome.

A person has to play an ATK to really understand what they are about and can do.

Truly a very versatile instrument.

To me, an ATK is very much like an SR5 in terms of "tweakability". The "character" switch is equivalent to the SR5's tone switch.

This makes the two instruments very much alike, although the ATK is quite a bit cheaper than an EBMM.

Enjoy it for a very long time,

Bob