1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez BTB 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nussy the whale, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I'm looking at getting one of these babies for my first five string. It would also be my first bass with active electronics!

Anybody have any experience with them? Should I go for a specific model? Neck-thru or bolt on?

Thanks!

2. viciousnemesis

viciousnemesis

Jan 4, 2012
    This model was my first 5 string, and it's sick. Super fast, monster tone, and has been my favorite bass for a few years. I was nervous at first getting a 5 string, but I don't think I enjoy playing 4 strings anymore. But, like any instrument, some speak to you and others don't, so if you can, definitely go play around in some local stores before you decide, because that can be a costly decision. I bought my btb without ever playing one, but I got super lucky that I loved it. Good luck :D

EDIT: oh link to picks of the model i have, the btb 1305-e

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=184827&d=1287544595

3. Whoa! It's beautiful! I've played a few 4 string BTBs in the past and thought they were wonderful, high-quality instruments. I'll have to to try out the 5ers next chance I get. Is there a significant difference between the models? Since this would be my first five string I don't want to shell out too much $$, but I also want to make sure that what I'm getting will last.

4. viciousnemesis

viciousnemesis

Jan 4, 2012
    What's your price range? The middle of the road models, I think the 775's, are probably the best bang for your buck, and a quick search on ebay returns a few hits around $600. I spent $1000 on mine used because it was the top end one at the time. I also just recently got a mm bongo, and hate to say it, but I think I like it just a tad more than the ibby, but only just barely.

5. viciousnemesis

viciousnemesis

Jan 4, 2012
    I think the lower end models are bolt on. The middle grade and higher are through neck. The middle grade have bartonlini's, and the upper echelon have custom barts for electronics.

6. I don't want to spend any more than $500. If I can find a neck thru at that price that'd be golden.

7. viciousnemesis

viciousnemesis

Jan 4, 2012
    I have an LTD F-404 for that price, but she's not an ibby, nor a fiver... :D Good luck with your search.

8. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Musicians Friend closed out the BTB575 in more exotic colors a few years back so I picked up an orange with maple neck for a steal. You see them for sale here and on ebay anywhere from $300 up. It is a great bass with good electronics. The neck is wider than most Ibanez models with less radius. Overall it was a good buy and very versatile bass.

Here is a BTB thread
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/ibanez-btb-club-part-2-a-820308/

9. I have a Blue BTB 405 QM. It's effectively the bottom of the range version with a bolt on neck and standard Ibanez pickups instead of the Bartolinis on higher end models. It was my first decent quality bass after a few years playing an entry level Peavey Milestone.

It is a really great bass and very smooth to play, and when you consider the price, an absolute steal!

A couple of criticisms that i would have is that the matt finished hardware on mine is showing some corrosion although i understand this has been addressed in later models and doesn't affect the sound. I also find that the EQ offers, if anything, too much adjustability - I've found it hard to get to and maintain the sweet spot of a tone that works for me.

For the money though, I would still highly recommend them.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Just better hope you never need parts. I have been waiting on a midrange EQ pot for my BTB for over 6 months and still no ETA in sight.

11. Jonathan D

Jonathan D

Jul 4, 2017
    Not good news-my mid potʻs going out, too. Maybe Iʻll try the old tv repairmanʻs trick of opening it up and rubbing with a pencil on the carbon elements.