1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez EDB600

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lord_arancherry, Apr 14, 2006.

1. lord_arancherry

lord_arancherry

Apr 14, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Hey all! This is my first posting to this site and I really do I hope I get a response. I have posted this info request on practically every other musicians blog and unfortunately I have not received one response yet :(
    Anyhow, I've been playing bass for about 10 years and I have been loyal to my current bass during 9 of those years. I bought the Ibanez EDB600 for the feel of the body, the thin neck, and its slap-friendly ergonomics. I recently played a Music Man Sterling and decided that I must own one (I actually got my first ever blister in my ten years of playing!). It will be a while before I decide to finally splurge on one, but I was wondering it is possible to modify my trusty Ibanez to hold me over until I can afford a Sterling, namely replace the soapbar pickups with some Bartolini's or something comparably awesome. I've always been somewhat displeased with the tone that I get out of it and I'm hoping changing the pickups will do the trick. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Does anyone else besides Ibanez manufacture pickups that fit this bass? Has anyone ever tried customizing the EDB600 at all? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! The music stores around here are useless!

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Well, first off welcome to TB. I've played a few of the edc's and i for one like the tone of the ibanez p/ups but from my experience your really not going to get a huge difference in tone from a change of p/ups..Of course you COULD drop some Bart's and a new pre in there but you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.? If your saving up for a musicman then my advice would be to leave the ibanez like it is and poke the money you would spend on upgrading it away for the musicman. I firmly believe that good tone is in your hands and not so much in your electronics, On another note, Your ibanez is made from Luthite, and contrary to what some people believe luthite creates a whole different accoustic quality than wood does. I know I have a bass made from luthite. But, it all boils down to what YOU want to do. Just my opinion's.... good luck!

3. lord_arancherry

lord_arancherry

Apr 14, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Thanks a bunch for the reply. I was kinda subconsciously lying when I said I always disliked the tone. I just asked myself why have I played the damn thing for 9 years if I thought the pickups sucked this whole time? I guess I really just want a new sound without having to pay $1200, y'know? But you're right, I should just save for the sterling. I've been putting this off for way to long and now I'm just thinking of other ways to continue doing so.
    Now to pick a color...

4. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    No problem, A friend of mine has a sterling and it is indeed a wonderful instrument... his is a gold color with a white pick guard. Looks pretty tight.
    Peace

5. There is no way i can imagine making an EDB sound like a ray, unless you stick a MM style pup in there, which would require you to cut a rather large hole in your EDB, and even then it wouldnt sound that close, but it would sound similar

If you can, look out for an Ibanez ATK 300 or ATK 400 (or higher), these are Ibanez basses that many regard to be pretty damn close to the stingray sound, a fair few people even like the ATK sound over the stingray sound :)

(Im an ibanez fan, love the ergodyne series (before most of it was discontinued, or has it all be discontinued now, the ATK's are discontinued too! all my favourite basses are discontinued! :bawl: )