1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Mikro Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JOSHUA LANE, Jun 29, 2020.

1. JOSHUA LANE

JOSHUA LANE

Nov 30, 2019
    Hi all. I've got an ibanez mikro 4 string and I'd like new strings. I'd like coated strings and as I'm newer to bass, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

2. Depends on the sound your looking for, but I put some Rotosound 77 Jazz Flats on my Mikro, and it sounded great. They are made of Monel and sound somewhere between roundwounds (which sound brighter) and nickel flatwounds, (which sound smoother). Coated strings sound similar to them, but coatings will wear off.
    DR make a lot of different coated strings and all of them are good.

JOSHUA LANE likes this.
  3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Another round-toned string which does the same as coated strings are the GHS Balanced Pure Nickels. I have a friend with a set on his MiKro, and has declared the end of his string safari.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    JOSHUA LANE and michael_t like this.
  4. Coated strings for what reason? Are you looking for longevity? Or, smoother feel? Or, are you talking about colorful ones?

pcake and JOSHUA LANE like this.
  5. Pyotrech

Pyotrech

Jun 30, 2020
    I can confirm. Restrung my Ibanez mikro with these few weeks ago, nice sound and great gentle feel :)
    Huge change after D'Addarios XL nickel 50-105 roundwounds.

JOSHUA LANE likes this.
  6. JOSHUA LANE

JOSHUA LANE

Nov 30, 2019
    Longevity and smooth feeling. It's just preference really. I tried them and really liked them

7. So, which ones did you try? You tried them on another bass and now you're looking for a short-scale set for the Mikro... Is that it?

JOSHUA LANE likes this.
  8. GHS Balanced Nickels, suggested by @iiipopes above, are a good example of how a set of strings DO NOT need to be coated for being smooth-feeling and long-lasting.

iiipopes likes this.
  9. JOSHUA LANE

JOSHUA LANE

Nov 30, 2019
    You got it. I tried coated on an sg 200 and really liked the feel over nickel. So that's why I'm looking to see if anyone knows if they're short scaled too. Thanks for checking in bud

10. Which specific brand?

JOSHUA LANE likes this.
  11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i use d'addario nickels. i prefer super lights or lights, but that's just personal preference. they fit the mikros perfectly. they are also smoother to the touch than some strings. i recently switched to fender short scale some kinda lights - i find them more responsive and i like the tone, but they're not as smooth as the d'addarios.

the d'addarios i use (they come in heavier gauges)
    D'Addario XL Nickel Wound Bass String Set Short Scale - 4-St

these are the fenders
    5250 Short Scale Bass Strings | Accessories

i tried the coated mikro strings on amazon - they didn't fit my mikro. i know of no other coated strings that do fit it, but hopefully someone here has some suggestions.

JOSHUA LANE likes this.
  12. JOSHUA LANE

JOSHUA LANE

Nov 30, 2019
    Ibanez with DR black beauties

13. One thing to keep in mind is DR's "short scale" is 33.75" in winding length (ball end to taper), which is probably too long on a Mikro, meaning part of the thickest part of the E string will end up wrapping around the tuner post.

pcake likes this.
  14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    exactly!

15. JOSHUA LANE

JOSHUA LANE

Nov 30, 2019
    Is that a big deal? Sorry, I'm new to bass and well any instrument for that reason, I was just curious more than anything. Thanks for the info though

16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    it can be a big deal. sometimes the fat part of the string won't fit your nut or tuner, sometimes it can break.

JOSHUA LANE likes this.
  17. JOSHUA LANE

JOSHUA LANE

Nov 30, 2019
    Is there a way to find out? Was thinking of buying strings, then go to guitar center and have them change them. But I'd wanna watch so I know how to do it

18. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Killed_by_Death and JOSHUA LANE like this.
  19. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    As a guy who has done a lot of weird string setups, the only way to know is to try, say a prayer to the patron saint of incorrect string pairings,, wind it up and tune it carefully, and take your chances. Just don't cry when you break a $10 string, you knew what you signed up for.

JOSHUA LANE likes this.
  20. JOSHUA LANE

JOSHUA LANE

Nov 30, 2019
    I guess that's one way to do it lol. Yea, I'm probably just gonna find a guitar guys or gal around me. I could go into tampa, but I'm being lazy lol