1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez musician Active pickup / passive electronics question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZedBass, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ZedBass

ZedBass

Feb 25, 2008
    hi all I'm a bit of Lurker here but have a question regarding electrics. I have a 1979 ibanez musician, just the single pickup passive version, it's old and battered but it was my first 'proper' bass and I love it. A few years I (stupidly) took the single passive Soap bar pickup out of it and replaced it with a 'basslines' music man style pickup with active electrics. I liked it, for a while, and threw the old pickup and tone and volume pots away (I know!?) I've since got rid of the active electrics as I grew to hate the sound and changed them, as an experiment really, with the electrics from an old P-bass, just a passive volume and tone control. It sounds a bit 'meh' loads of mid, no warmth, no punch, no definition, the tone control just makes it sound either muddy or slightly less muddy and the volume pot is basically on full or off, no real control at all. So my question I guess is, it is possible to use passive electrics on this pickup, and if so what? Anyone know any 'off the shelf' I can buy, or failing that, does anyway have any recommendations for a single passive pickup and electrics? I want it to sound like it used to! :) thanks for any help!