1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez pickup question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bogie1519, Jun 13, 2018.

1. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    hope this is the right forum. I have a Ibanez 650. It has one P style and one jazz style at the bridge. I would like to upgrade them. Anyone have any experience with this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    What do you want to accomplish with your upgrade? If you have no goal, no one can help you.
    The stock Ibanez Super P4 and Super J4 pickups in the RB650 are well regarded and great sounding. It's a vintage output P with a slightly hotter wound J. They work well/blend nicely.
    As far as upgrading goes, it's pretty easy. These are standard sized P and J bridge pickups that have tons of aftermarket models to choose from.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    dralionux likes this.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

These pickups are sought after and sell very well. They don't miss anything really.
    It 's a classic vintage bass you own. Not much sense in replacing anything on it unless it's broken.

dralionux likes this.
  4. SR650?
    SR650_ABS_1P_04.
    RB650?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWHEynuFr4KJUG8d70mIiDEgALW2EJrLOu3CQncXS-ntF16SNu5t4SAMGN.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHPjObxovKuSb0e_yVa5Esl8eMskCaZgRdx68Q_BoZvTSOqAu5dqeMAJqU3w.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Ah, didn't think of the SR650.
    Nordstrand Big Singles are excellent too anyway.

6. B-Mac

B-Mac Noob Supporting Member

This is an active bass. The SR 650 has Nordy's on it. The pickups on this bass are great. Welcome to Nordstrand Audio Not sure what you're looking for as an 'improvement' over what is already on this bass. Maybe the active electronics (pre-amp) would be better to replace? Not sure if the pre-amp on the SR 650 is a generic Ibanez pre-amp or if it is a Nordstrand pre-amp. If it is a generic Ibanez pre-amp it would probably be better to replace it with a Nordstrand pre-amp if it isn't already. I have the SR 1200 Premium and it also has the Nordy's and I wouldn't replace them with anything unless Nordstrand said they were an improvement and even then I probably wouldn't....they're that good.

There's a lot of pickups out there and everyone has different preferences, but the pups on your bass are quite good to begin with. You could always check out Bart's, but the Nordy's are the cats arse as far as many are concerned.

7. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    Thanks for all the great answers. After reading this I’ll stick with what I’ve got. This Bass does have a active to passive switch. The treble knob is then used as a over all treble to bass control.

8. Sounds like you have an SR650