1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Portamento Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vmabus, May 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I think this bass is unique and interesting enough for its own club - any takers?
    Here's mine:

Johan185, kikstand454, web824 and 6 others like this.
  2. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Rhinebeck, NY
    I played one of these a few days ago at Alto Music. Took me awhile to sort out that the three upper knobs are all volume knobs for the 3 pickups. It had a great feel but not too much mwah. Maybe with different strings...

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Yeah, I felt the same

Still, if ever, yours is gonna be the one I'd like to buy

Both 4ers I saw (in two different shops) sold in a blink: the 5er I actually tried out is still there and I'm startin' to think about it a lil' too much for my reknown G.A.S.

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. Ooh I like the looks of that, does it come in a 4-string?

(edit) post above me wasn't there when I was typing this....:smug:

5. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
  6. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I'm sure I'd love a 6er version:woot:
    In it's vacancy, the 5er can possibly be a truly remarkable option btw:thumbsup:

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Finally got my GHS tapes, put 'em on, adjusted the action, and WOW! The awesome drips off the strings! This is the sound in my head, now in the air! I've been playing it all weekend.

web824, Mili, Dave Bassincus and 3 others like this.
  8. I'm playing my 4er since more than one month. I open just the piezo, except in some "funky" tune.
    It is warm and defined, lovely tone. It became now my "official" bass, surclassing the Epiphone Zenith I played before. And sometimes, totally replacing the upright!

web824, Jazzbrew and vmabus like this.
  9. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    post a pic, get a number!

tellheryousawme likes this.
  10. image.
    image.

11. Are you supposed to play the uppermost register on the instrument in thumb position?

josiah goldfish likes this.
  12. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I'm planning on getting one. I tried it at my local store and it blew me away.

13. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
  14. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Not necessary, because the access is unrestricted. I never thought I'd have cause to play up that high, but because it's easy, my hand goes up there all by itself!

web824 and tellheryousawme like this.
  15. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I have to tell you, Wallace, it completely cured my GAS (well, along with a Promethean 3115).

16. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Believe me, I can understand you quite well:

We sure play different kinds of music one another, but my trusted cab is a Promethean 4x10" (not so easy to come across at this moment 'cause southern european distributor doesn't carry them anymore) and even if I faithfully rely on my Ampeg Svt7 on both Promethean and Hartke cabs (they're both 1000w worth thru neodymium speakers) with Promethean I'm free to always taylor the right sound no matter the pedalboard effects.

Cheers,
    Wallace

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    vmabus likes this.
  17. One of the next two basses I will buy. Love it's versatility. Need to start saving $$$!! :D

vmabus likes this.
  18. Count me in. I absolutely love mine. I rarely pick up any of my other basses now. I play a lot of straight ahead jazz and it sounds great in that context. It has a very wide array of tones and it just feels fantastic. I've been considering tapes on it and after reading this thread and others... I just order some. I love tapes so it will be a good fit for me. Fantastic bass...

Portamento1.JPG Portamento2.JPG

Ramana, tellheryousawme and vmabus like this.
  19. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Sweet!
    Jazzbrew #2

20. boyet

boyet

May 15, 2007
    Miami
    Does it have 19mm bridge spacing for the 5'er?