1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez promethean p3110 or Ashdown five 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nhrapro840, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Nhrapro840

Nhrapro840

Mar 9, 2017
    I have a choice at the local guitar shop between the Ibanez promethean p3110 or the Ashdown five 15. The promethean has 10 inch speaker and 300 watts and the Ashdown five 15 has 15 inch speaker and 125 watts. The Ashdown is twice the size as the promethean. Ashdown is $50.00 more and new. The promethean is used. Looking for best sound and punch. Looking for recommendations.

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I can only weigh in on the Promethean. In short, it's a great amp and quite versatile--solid volume one its own, a very useable three-band EQ, plus the DI out and extension cab options. It's also very portable. And it sounds really good.

In terms of wattage, the two amps you're considering are similar: the Promethean is 150 watts with only the built-in (8 Ohm) speaker: add a second 8 Ohm cab, and the impedance drops to 4 Ohm, releasing the full 300 watts.

3. Modler

Modler

Jan 16, 2017
    Denmark
    I've been looking quite a bit on the P3110, it seems like a quite nice little combo.

But it is actually 300 watts even whith the built-in speaker only.
    The internal speaker has two 8 ohm coils in parallel, making it 4 ohms. But then when an external speaker is connected, one of the internal 8-ohm coils are automatically swithed off, making the internal speaker 8 ohms instead.
    I haven't seen this feature in any other combo.

alaskaleftybass and fermata like this.
  4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Makes sense--that must be why it can go so loud! It really is a great little combo, very versatile. And there's nothing quite like the one-trip load-in experience.

Modler likes this.
  5. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    You're looking for the best sound and punch..but the best way to find that out is to try them. The sound coming from the amps will be more convincing than any words typed in this forum. Easy to do since the shop is local.

6. Nhrapro840

Nhrapro840

Mar 9, 2017
    Well I purchased the promethean for 200.00. When I played it at the store I thought there was a ground hiss. When I got it home I noticed there was a static type of sound when the strings vibrate. I took it back and the guitar shop owner said the amp tech would look at it. There was an ashdown five 15 the 125 watt brand new. The owner told me I could have the Ashdown for 50.00 more. When he got the promethean fixed if I did not want the Ashdown he would take it back and give me the 50.00 back. I have had the Ashdown for 2 days now. In about a week I will have a decision to make. Both have features the other does not. I am liking the ashdown and it's new but the promethean has some serious watts you can hook up to a cabinet and make some volume. Hard decision

7. The Promethean may not put out the volume you expect with an external cab. It will be louder but while you're doubling the speaker area you're also splitting the 300w between the two so there will be a trade-off.
    There have been issues with the Promethean line that have been well documented here but the P3110 version appears better built than the P5110 it replaced. I would do some research on this before buying one that's coming off the repair bench though.
    I would also ask about a short warranty period for the Ibanez and if they say no, keep the Ashdown.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Nhrapro840 likes this.
  8. Nhrapro840

Nhrapro840

Mar 9, 2017
    Thank you that is good advise. I am leaning toward keeping the Ashdown. It is new and there is no noise when I am not picking my Washburn hammerhead. The amp looks pretty cool also. Its taller so I can use it as a desk for music when I am sitting in a chair practicing. For real volume I probably just need to get a more watt head and a cabinet in the future.

9. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    That is so smart of Ibanez to make a switching 4-8 ohm cabinet. I know a while back they even had the matching 410 Promethean cab. I guess the two together were a monster combination. I would vote for the Ibanez Promethean. It's modular yet small enough for practice or gigs.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020