Ibanez Rickenbacker Copy - Bridge replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassTa EBE, Jun 4, 2012.

1. BassTa EBE

BassTa EBE

Jun 4, 2012
    Hello, I own an Ibanez bass (Rickenbacker copy). So this one is about 35 years old. I haven't played him for one year and suddenly the bridge is damaged. I'm wondering if this was caused by fatigue of material, because I'cant remember that any other circumstance / handling has caused this.
    (pictures)

My questions:
    - Has anybody made similar experience ?
    - where do I find the Model No. ?
    - where can I get a new bridge (replacement) for this model ?
    Thanx a lot

Attached Files:

2. Lawkeeper

Lawkeeper

Mar 12, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Wow.. That's pretty serious.

3. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I had a 1976 Univox 4001 copy that was very faithful to the original (including some tail lift - not as bad as yours, though) and I opted to go with a Hipshot replacement that was superior to the original design. I'd highly recommend that as it should be awfully close if not an exact direct replacement.

To be 100% certain, you should confirm the dimensions / specs with Hipshot. They have great customer service and will make sure that you are happy.

4. I had an Ibby do something similar, but not that drastic. Are you tuning an octave high?:D

Hipshot makes a nice Ric replacement that will work.

5. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    Oh, man, I have to say, this is pretty funny - the copy is so good, they even copied the tail lift!

Personally, I would look for a replacement bridge that is, or looks like, a real Rick bridge, and get a luthier/repair man to make it fit. It wouldn't be a big job. The Hipshot "replacement" has some non-trivial issues (read all about it on the Rick bass form) and it really doesn't cop the look of a Rick bridge, other that with respect to the footprint.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    WOW! I can't BELIEVE this was posted here today...

I came to find my Ibanez Rickenbacker bridge literally CRACKED IN HALF on Friday night while sitting on the stand...not sure when or how, exactly (luckily not at a gig). My bass is exactly like yours, except "jet-glo".

The bridge basically went beyond where the picture you have of yours is, and snapped right at the bend...I removed the bridge, or what was left of it, and was going to post some pics. Now I might have to :D

YEah, so anyone have any ideas what would work as a replacement!?!?

7. If you think a hipshot one would work good send me a PM i have one sitting on a shelf id sell at like half hipshots price

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
  9. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    thats what I thought....lol

10. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY

that is VERY strange

11. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    Two Ibanez bridges failing at the same time? Sounds like collusion. I'd blame RIC and send them the bridge to see if they'll make good on it.:bag:

Sepp

12. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    Programmed obsolescence. The suits at Ibanez planned for all these bridges to fail exactly after 35 years. They sure don't make em like they used too.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Quick update if anyone is interested. I picked up the Hipshot bridge from Lukas aka "A-Step-Towards" (btw he was a pleasure to deal with) and it bolted on PERFECTLY onto my Ibanez Rick copy (model 2388B). All 4 screw holes lined up exactly.

It added a bit of weight to the bass as it's made of a more durable metal than the previous bridge that snapped in half (chrome painted aluminum, perhaps?), but that doesn't bother me, and I think it will add more tone and sustain to the bass. I strung her up last night, but need to raise the saddles a bit and mess with the intonation this weekend when I have some time (which seems REALLY easy compared to the old bridge). Can't wait to play it all set up.

So, if anyone was wondering if the Hipshot is a direct replacement for an old Ibanez Rick copy, it is. I'll try and post some pics later. It looks wicked, too.

14. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I bought an Ibanez Artist off of eBay once. It was a '77 and basically an Ibanez Gibson Grabber with a 3 point Gibson bridge, but the bridge was made in Japan. When I took off the strings, one of the hooks broke off and I could see stress fractures on the other hook. Unfortunately the Hipshot Supertone did NOT fit my bass. Luckily I was able to find an original Ibanez NOS replacement bridge for it, but I have a feeling that while these 70s Japanese basses were of great quality, the bridges they used may not have been. Although quality is subjective. Lasting 30+ years under constant tension is not too terrible.

I also owned an Ibanez Rick copy at one point. Cool bass. Glad that the Hipshot replacement worked for you. Considering these basses are not highly collectible like the real things (just about every model except for the Rocket Rolls and Black Eagle selling for less than $1k), I'd consider your new bridge an improvement. Plus I like they way they look. Enjoy!

15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Glad to hear it was resolved. I remember purchasing a rather cheap Kramer P-Bass and upgrading the bridge to a Hipshot. Nice bass after that. Should have kept it.
    My 1976 RIC needs a new toggle switch now.

16. Def post some photos!

To the OP , are those fender flats? I believe those are pretty high tension and the bridge may not adapt well to those strings , i think flats have been made with more tension since that bass was made ( i read that somewhere).If so having a high tension string tuned to pitch and stored for awhile could have resulted in those issues.

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think the flats comment is an interesting theory. Mine was strung with Chromes for about 2 months before the bridge snapped- before that I had nickel rounds on her forever. I strung it back up with the Chromes, but I think the new bridge will be strong enough to hold...it BETTER be! :p

18. I am trying to find the thread but I heard someon talking about how flats of today are higher tension then in the 60s/70s. I am no string nerd nor was I alive in either of those two decades so i would haev no idea. Just a theory seeing as how it has flats and if there modern flats that could have done it , mainly since I am sure those were sold without warranties as they were a copy brand and more then likely shipped with low gauge rounds on it.

19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    as promised, here are some pictures of what was going on with my bridge...

Ibby Rick copy before bridge break
    DSCN0010.jpg

cracked bridge (how crazy is that!?)
    b199a9b9.jpg

7eb98bd0.jpg

new Hipshot mounted. Looks so awesome! The action is so much better than before, and its fully adjustable. I just need to set the intonation when I get some time, and it'll be ready for anything
    9bb2abb3.jpg

20. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Now that's a decent bridge!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021