1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR 400FL bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 1958Bassman, Dec 26, 2017.

1. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I have this model of bass and I bought it used, so I have no idea of what pickups are in it- it's set up as P-J with the usual Vol/Vol/Tone control and there are no markings on the pickups as far as brand or model. For all I know, it could have pickups from something else, slapped in because a previous owner thought they would "improve it", possibly in the same way they "improved" the rest of the setup- it took a while to get that mess straightened out.

If anyone has info on the OEM pickups (as well as opinions), I'd like to know.

C 5064596 serial number, made by Cort in 1995.

Also, if anyone has recommendations for replacements, I'd like to see them- I'm using D'Addario flats (.050"-.105") through a Gallien-Krueger 400RB and a pair of small-ish vented Sonic cabinets (14-1/2 w" x 17-1/2" h x 12-1/2" d) loaded with Eminence speakers- one has a Delta Pro 12a that I had in a different cab and it's better than the original one that came in the Sonic. Although not optimal, it's not terrible- not looking for the lowest note but they definitely handle open E with ease. I don't have the action set for maximum mwah- I always liked the sound of fretless (like Jack Bruce in Cream) and I don't slide into the notes very often but like many, I'm always looking for something different/better and if I can get a bit more clarity in the sound (not more bright but more distinct notes), even better.

Thanks, in advance.

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Found it- DiMarzio IBX DS-P and DS-J pickups.

3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member