1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR 706... Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juan91, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Juan91

Juan91

Jun 7, 2007
  2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I actually wanted to buy this myself.

The look just screams "use me in church"!

I like the sound and feel of the current SR506 - buy it and let us know what you think :p

3. Juan91

Juan91

Jun 7, 2007
    I dont really like the color of the 506 :( plus i really really like the finish style of the 706, what do you know about the 706? does it sound good?

4. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I don't care much for bubinga myself. The 706 is neckthru as well, opposed to the bolt-on design of the 506.

Higher end Ibanez basses usually sound great. The SR506 has a great sound, Bartonlini pickups and preamp. Some would say it doesn't have much timbre (and I can see why). But it's just the tone I would need for church.

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    why isnt there a 606?

6. Juan91

Juan91

Jun 7, 2007
    Which one sounds better? The 506 or the 706? I play for a rock/metal band... so i think the 706 would fit better in the scene

i dont really know much about basses... i can play them but thats about it, what is neckthru and bolt on design? :( i feel stupid for asking this hahahaha

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    neckthru meaning a continuous piece of wood from the neck all the way to the end of the body..OR bolt on, meaning the neck is made as a separate piece and bolted on to the body.

a lot of people are going to tell you neck thru is more sustain and bolt on is more punchy and blah blah blah...but to be honest its just whatever feels comfortable.

Be pratical, whens the last time you tried to sustain a note on your bass and were unhappy and craving more time for the note?

8. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    This would be a nice bass for metal.

Like Santucci said, on a neckthrough bass - the neck of the bass extends through the body of the bass. On a bolt-on, the neck is bolted to the back of the body.

Generally, neckthroughs are pricier than bolt-ons - but that doesn't mean they sound better... it's just more time-consuming to produce neckthroughs...

With the SR706 being neckthrough and having a fancy finish.. I'd say that's what makes it more expensive than the SR506. It probably has the same electronics.. I'm sure you could do an easy comparison on Ibanez's website.

I won't because I'm lazy. ;)

The God Damn Rodeo

Dirtiest of the dirty St. Louis metalcore - the bassist rocks a 6 string Ibanez of some sort - this bass slayed live.

9. Juan91

Juan91

Jun 7, 2007
    Ohhh okay, yeah i know what you're talking about, I get it now, thanks! I dont really think that would make a difference on the playability of the bass... the bass i have now is the ibanez jumpstart thingy, its a bolt on,

Well, it happens a lot actually, it kinda pisses me off how the note just dies after a little while... what does it have to do with this anyway?

Well, If they both sound the same i kinda wanna get the cheaper one, but i hate the 506 finish... i like the 706 fancy finish, plus the little abalone ovals on the fret markers... i did the comparison on their website, the electronics are basically the same and there is a 200$ price difference... >.>

10. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I played one and really liked it. the Bartolinis rock, and the neck was beautiful (I'm a real big fan of the thin Ibanez necks).

11. Juan91

Juan91

Jun 7, 2007
    I never really notice much difference between other necks and ibanez necks... then again ive never held a 6 string

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    These are very light 6ers as well.

13. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I've always found them to be very thin. They actually made the 08's even thinner.

14. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    I'd buy it.

Though I haven't really ever met an Ibby I didn't like. ;)

15. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
  16. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Jatobá...thats brazilian!

17. Juan91

Juan91

Jun 7, 2007
  18. k.bass83

k.bass83

Mar 1, 2008
    I tried it out today at guitar center, all I can say is i'm getting it as soon as i get up the cash. It's beautiful, lite, and sounds like a dream.

19. I've liked the 500 series but I've never been a fan of all-mahogany basses (too "middy" for my taste) so simply the idea[/i] of this line interests me - the build quality and neck/body shape of the 500s, but a maple top to bring out some note definition. :D

20. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    The 706 is bolt on. The difference between the 506 and 706 is the finish only. The Bart's are the exact same, as well as the neck material and the body. The difference between the 706 and 506 is also the 1/4" flamed maple top on the 706. Other than that they are exactly the same. I own a 706.

edwardthewave likes this.