Ibanez SR1006 EFMLE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hey guys, some of you know that I recently bought a new 6 string bass from SamAsh, and I have truely fallen in love with it. So much so, that I am going to write a review so that all of you non-Ibanez supporter's will see the light and actually notice that Ibanez makes some biatchin basses.

The first thing that I did when I saw this bass was drool. I looked at the magnificent burled poplar top and I couldn't look away. This is the most beautiful Ibanez I've ever seen (also the most expensive) and it was definately worth buying. I purchased the limited edition SR1006EFM from SamAsh and I got a good deal for it ($1500 with a case). When some of you see the price, I'm sure you gag, but if you look at all the options, and the quality that is in this bass, then you'll understand. The first quote that my instrctor said when he saw it was "Holy SH**! Why'd you buy a boutique bass?" He then saw the headstock and realized that it was in fact an Ibanez SR series.

The bass comes standard with a flame maple top, mahogony back, 5 piece maple/mahagony neck, Bartolini custom soapbar's (sound amazing) 3 band pre with mid sweep, gotoh tuners, and a mono-rail IV bridge. The limited edition versions either have a zerbrano top or a burled poplar. The controls were a tad confusing at first, but after fiddling with them for a few minutes, I got them down good. it has a notch in the middle for flat, -15 and +15 for Bass, Treble, low mid, and high mid. The pots are very smooth and have no noise. The mono rail bridge is fantastic, string changes are smooth and simple, and the individual saddles allow for solo string vibration instead of interference from the other strings. The Bartolini custom's are some of the best pickups I've ever heard. They can be extremely dark and warm low's, and have very bright soaring highs with excellent mids. One of the way's I could explain them is "hot", but that'd be an understatement, they're just true magic, props to bartolini for these fantastic pickups. The frets are very smooth and have no buzz. The action is incredibly low, and as I said in another post, like "cheesecake". The matching headstock also allow's for superior looks. The Gold hardware just fits in with the bass (it's smoke chrome on the standar version), and just looks magnificent. It was string with Elixer Nanowebs, which are excellent strings, and I would suggest them to anyone who doesn't like a thick coating feel, but loves long lasting strings. The rosewood fretboard is decked with wood inlays, and a special inlay at the 12th fret.

This bass is one of the best I've played (I've played quite a few high end fenders, Curbow's, Yamaha's, and other high end basses). Thsi bass blow's warwick out of the water, it's lighter, it sounds better, it has a 3 band preamp, and it's neck is very thin and smooth.

If you have 1500 to spare, then I would reccomend this case to you, you definately won't regret it, I haven't.

http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=97318 Pics can be found there.

I hope this review changes your mind about Ibanez's, and I hope this leads you to buy one in the future.

2. First seeing the zebrawood one, now seeing this one . . . gah, i want one of those SR's now!

Very nice !!!!
  3. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    sweet lookin lil ibanez! Pimpin gold hardware.... Ibanez rocks.
  4. +1 :D I'd reccomend that anyone who thinks Warwicks are the way to go for anything to try one of these basses. Compared to a an active Corvette, this Ibby blows it clear out of the water, in looks, playability, sound, weight, and overall comfort. The only thing the Germans have on it, is that neat little tool and care kit :) .

5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    That is pretty nice. And though I'm not the biggest Ibanez fan, I love the Soundgear bodies. They balance so well. Since I'm a 4-string guy, if a premium Soundgear 4 like that had a slightly wider neck, I'd be GASing. Or a Soundgear with a BTB neck would be killer.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love the Ibby sixers, great, comfortable string spacing, fast necks. Can't complain at all!
  7. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    they have these in BTB versions as well, and I agree, they balance well on the lap and on the strap. I love them.

BTB's are cheaper as well.

8. the top looks more like burled poplar or something rather then flame maple
  9. It is burled poplar... He said they some standard with flame maple, but he has a limited edition, which came in burled poplar.

10. DRZ400Bassman

Nov 6, 2005
    Without a doubt the SR series has the most comfortable bodies and necks in all of bassdom :bassist:
  11. Thing is that ibanez throws out some mid to mid-high priced instruments that kick serious ass.I have also played some of them .One was a fender jazz replica dated at least in the mid 70's but the only fender able to compete with it is the marcus miller signature,serious thumper,even though the neck was kind narrow(almost like an SR's but even more narrow).The other one was an SRX 5-string prototype built for an italian guy,it was a hybrid between the 705 and the 400.It was neck-thru(woods maple and bubinga not walnut like on the 705)the body was ash with a cocobolo top(!?!),there was only a pickup an emg 40TW and a vari-mid eq pre-amp.But what shocked me was the fretboard,it was ebony!Super thick,the neck felt more like a spector rather than an ibanez.You should see that thing got pic on my cellphone,it was awesome!!! :eek:
  12. doh! my bad

reading comprehension ++
  13. Well... Come on, let's see it! lol.

14. I found my EDA neck and body to be way more comfortable than the SR, altho not everyone likes the sound/tone or shape of it :)

I really want a zebrawood BTB . . . that would be sweet
  15. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    hey that ibanez is soo effin saweet but i was wondering how you can get ahold of one of them dream basses? i was on samash n couldnt find it
  16. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC

There's the link, I don't know how much longer they're gonna have it out, but I hope it doesn't go away for a while so people and buy these and see how awesome they are. But on the other hand, if they stop making them, mine will be worth more ^^

You can get a case included with the bass if you haggle a little bit (I did), and the form fitted case is very durable and keeps the bass in there great.

17. i hate to bring back this old thread, but i just wanna brag about the one i got...

its very similar, its a sam ash exclusive SR1006, but im not sure the exact model...its got a zebrawood top, custom Barts, gold hardware, 3 band eq with stacked mids, and its heaven....the list price i believe was 1799, the price there was 1499, but i got it on a closeout special at 999...the best deal i have EVER heard of...im so happy, without being biased or exaggerating,
    it is the nicest and most playable bass i have ever played.
  18. oh, i just bought mine...like very recently...3 days ago, and i cant find it anywhere on the web, so if my review interested anyone, im sorry, but i doubt youll be able to find one.
  19. tsoaf0_o

Aug 10, 2008
    Just bought one too:D
    it'll be at my finger tips come tomorrow morning, thanx a mil for the review, had a look over it a few times before i made any quick decisions, settled the few questions i had before going for it, and thanx to the rest of you:)
    and yup, sorry to bring this thread back up, im just gonna be so happy in a few hours.