1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR3005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Curtybob, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Man, I bought this one on the 'Bay... I was shocked at how good it is. I bid on it because it was going for about $125 less than what I've noticed the last few go for, so I just bumped it until I hit the reserve and left it. Nobody else ever bid.

I really liked the neck on my SR500, it's got a wenge/bubinga neck with what claims to be rosewood fretboard (if it's rosewood, it's a very dark piece... I think it looks like ebony with a sprinkle of open pores)... anyway, the neck on the SR3005 is a good bit nicer. Wenge fretboard, the frets feel more like jumbos than mediums, and the edges are rounded into the fretboard a lot nicer.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

There were a few things wrong that needed correcting, like the monorail bridge setup needed some help. As soon as I got this out of the box this morning, I heard something rolling around inside somewhere. It was the screws that lock the saddles in place (kinda awkward to adjust the intonation, BTW). They fell in the routed areas under the bridge pieces. Waht a pain. I had to take 3 of the bridge pieces off just to get it back in working order. No biggie though.

After the bridge was lined out, I started looking over it. The listing said that it was a used bass, but it must have been used very lightly. No scratches, and it still had all the factory stickers on it, including the film over the battery cover and preamp cover plate.

I think I still paid too much. but right now it doesn't matter, because I think I'm keeping this one.

2. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Wenge knobs (2 regular knobs, and 2 sets of stacked knobs)on the way. The more I play this bass, the more I like it.

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Those are really nice basses. I wouldn't mind a 3005 or 3006, myself. They had one knocking around Bass Central several years back, and it stood up well against a lot of other stuff in the shop, for a fraction of the price.

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    smashing basses, very versatile, mine will definitely be seeing its way into the studio. :bassist:

5. geilerbass

geilerbass

Mar 2, 2007
    Great find! I was trying to get hold of one of these for ages, but they seem to be incredibly scarce in the UK.

I ended up spending way over the odds for an SR20th 5, which is essentially the same instrument, but with gold hardware. One of the nicest basses I've ever played. The neck is so eay to play and it sounds amazing.

Does yours have Bartolinis or the older Ibanez pups?

6. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    It's got the older Ibanez pickups. I'm actually playing with the idea of testing out a few pickups to see if I'd like them, but I think the Ibanez pickups sound pretty good. I like the sound even.... I think I'm just letting the brand name on the pickup (or lack of) get to me.

7. geilerbass

geilerbass

Mar 2, 2007
    I was just wondering if it was the 3005 or 3005e - I believe the latter had Bartolinis, which was the only difference.

I also have an sr1016, which I think was the predecessor to the 3000 range, though of a slightly different spec (no mono-rail bridge and a rosewood fingerboard). It has the Ibanez pups and these sound great. Admittedly the Bartolinis on the sr20th sound fuller and more balanced, but I reckon it's a matter of personal preference.

Again - great acquisition. Hope it plays as good as it looks!

8. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I finally got to play it at practice last nite... the playability is awesome. I intended to just play it for the first few songs as a nice tester, as the first few songs in the setlist have passages that land on the lower end of the D and G strings, which can be tough to hear in a heavy band with 2 full Marshall stacks roaring. It took some on-the-fly dialing in with the vari-mid knob to equal our usual mix, but it was very easy to get the sound in a workable state.

It could use just a few small adjustments to get 100% dialed in, but most of the adjustments are gonna be with my amp and compressor. I think the bass is pretty much there.

But overall, this bass is great. I haven't adjusted any of the knobs more than about 20% from flat, and I have a sound I really like. It's the first bass I've ever had that I could say that.

9. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    One of these days I'm gonna get my hands on one of these beauties...one of these days :hyper: Anyway, congrats, it's a killer bass! ;)

10. beesman59

beesman59

Nov 20, 2008
    I've my SR3005E a couple of years. I love to play it and I like very much the design, the look and the feel.
    But I'm having problems with this bass producing a high frequency noise on my amp EBS GORM ET115. :crying:
    I first thought it was the amp but I found out the guitar is producing the noise.
    This gives me problems when playing gigs - the PA people put in a DI-box between the guitar and the amp and they complain about the generated noise. I need to tweak the treble on the guitar lower to minimize the noise - of course during playing the noise is masked. but still I find it very enoying.
    I'm think of have the Bartolino's replaced by EMG's.
    Anyone out there experiencing the same problem?

rgds, Geert. :bassist:

11. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I've never had that problem with this bass, but I've had what I think are similar situations with a different bass. It gave me trouble from the start. I believe it had something cooked on the preamp circuit board. I never fixed it, I just wound up selling it at a loss.

The best bet would be to make a dedicated thread here so that it get's the proper attention of someone that might know what's up, and possibly posting on the Ibanez forums, as well.

Ibanez Prestige Bass forums are here:

http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=12

If that doesn't get results, take it to a good shop to get it fixed. Such a nice bass deserves to be in top form.