Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR400 direct bridge replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by centralharbor, Feb 19, 2006.

1. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    I'm not sure where this goes, but does anyone know of a direct bridge replacement for the SR400? I don't have the same bridge that's on the newer SR400, It has 2 screws per saddle. I'll get some pics up later on. I did search the forums, but I never found a direct replacement.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What year is your SR400?

3. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    I'm not too sure, I bought it from eBay. The description said from a few years ago, but when I was looking on the Ibanez replacement parts, every year, from 2000, it was a different bridge.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What's the serial # on the back of the headstock? How about some pics? I've played and owned a few recent models, so I may be able to help a bit.

5. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    why do you need to replace the bridge?

is it broken, cos if it is.... ibanez has replacements.

6. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    serial# c01050104

I got the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    But if you read what he wrote, Ibanez changed the bridge slightly each year, and therefore there are different bridges. He needs to know which one he has.

Once we find the year, it shouldn't be hard from there.

8. I was looking into a replacement bridge for my SR406 as well.. I just think the older ones are gawdy and ugly, I just wanted to replace it for visual aesthetics... But then I changed my mind, and decided I don't really give a hoot, I don't see it much when I'm groovin' anyway :D

-ryan-

9. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    yea, bridge changing for aesthetics int worth the cash to me.

btw, do u find ur sr400 a bit too "mid rangey" and lackin gin solid bass tones for jazz, funk etc"?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    She'd be an '01 model, and IIRC that may be the same bridge as the '00 model.

11. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
  12. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    gin? I usually don't drink before I play my bass.

As for being more in the mid range, try dial in more of the p pickup and cutting the mids and treble a little

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, same bridge as the '00 model. It's the Ibanez EB-7B bridge, or use part number 2BB1EB7B to order from an Ibanez dealer.

Broken or what?

BTW, I always found my SR400's electronics to be quite versatile and not so midrangey as deathbloomslife. What strings do you use?

14. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    I'm keeping this info handy incase something happens, or if I feel like changing it. Do you know if there are any other options for direct replacements?

Also, how'd you know 01?

Oh, btw, are there any other options for the tuners too?

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That would be the bridge.

The serial number on those basses generally denotes the year in the first two numerical didgets. I don't recall what the C denotes. I want to say China.

Just Curious, where was yours made?

16. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    Korea

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not sure if there are any other direct replacements, I've always used the stock bridge. I'm sure that someone makes one, just measure out the hole spacing and there's probably one carried by Allparts or somebody.

It's an 01 because of the serial number as answered above.

Lastly, any tuner with Gotoh dimensions will work. The stock tuners are licenced and use the Gotoh design.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, mine too. I'm trying to figure out what year they moved production to China. I believe they are now made there.

19. I find that my SR406 is fairly versatile for anything from jazz, to metal. I love haveing P/J pickups, pretty much best of both worlds! Now, it's not as versatile a bass costing twice as much, but it gets the job done for me.

I don't due much slapping on my bass (so not much funk) as it is a 6 string and there's not alot of space for it... Thinking of ditching the bass, 6 string is just not my thing. A complete overhaul and setup will determine if I keep 'er or not... Who knows, maybe one of you 4 banger dudes can add a "big brother" to your colection in the future, lmao!

-ryan-