1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR506 vs. Ibanez BTB406

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MusicManLN3, May 8, 2010.

1. MusicManLN3

MusicManLN3

Feb 21, 2010
    Sell me on one of these basses. Local music store has the BTB in a dark almost black finish but with that quilted touch. Price I'm not totally sure of but it's close to $700. Guitar Center has the 506 in it's usual color and it's $620. I'm leaning toward the 506, but I want to be sure. If you guys have any other suggestions, please post them here as well. Thanks!

2. rewopnayr

rewopnayr

Apr 26, 2007
    marion
    the 506 is nice but it is even better after you take the fretts out, as for the other one i havent tried it.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I have been gigging a 4-string BTB as my main player the past couple of months and I really like it. You can get a crazy range of sounds out of it and almost all of them are "musical" -- which comes in really handy in my cover band that does everything from old-school Johnny Cash to 3 Doors Down.

I just played a 506 in the music store this morning and while it also has a very nice sound and I actually prefer its neck to the BTB, it doesn't seem quite as versatile tonally. So I would say it comes down to how much that versatility is important to you.

4. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

Feb 12, 2009
    Kenosha Wi.
    The SR506 and the BTB are not the same bass at all. The 506 is lighter in weight and not as sonicly wide range as the BTB. The BTB is heavy with a big tone, and a big neck. I use mine with flat wound strings, very powerful tone. The SR506 has round wound strings on it for now, and has a very comfortable neck, and a solid bass tone. Try them both. I have both, and each one has it's own vibe......

5. MusicManLN3

MusicManLN3

Feb 21, 2010
    The sound factor is definitely important to me, but I don't want to be playing a heavy bass and have it be tiring onstage. I'm looking for a mellower, kind of dull tone, nothing too aggressive. In a way I kind of compare it to Myung's tone in his instructional video but I don't want to try to copy another player's tone.

6. The neck on the sr will be much slimmer and faster than the btb. If your used to tight string spacing, I'd go with the sr.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Well, the weight thing is all relative I guess. My BTB 4-string feels light as a feather... but my previous bass was a 1978 Precision, so there you go.

8. I'd go with the BTB, well, actually, I did go for the BTB :p

Just has a higher quality feel to it than the SRs IMO. Great tone and preamp controls too.

9. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Be sure you can handle the 35" scale of the BTB, vs the 34" scale of the SR. I can handle the 35" scale of a 5 string but the wider reach of a 6 string on 35" scale is nearly a deal-breaker for me. The BTB is a whopping 2mm wider at the last fret as compared to the SR, both still fairly narrow spaced 6's.

I think they may have the same electronics pkg (depending on when mfg'd), but the weight, woods and scale length will all have an effect on the tone.

I'd ask myself what specs i needed (34" with 18-19mm spacing as my preference) and go from there to find what you want.
    If you get the basic physical specs to make it comfortable, you can accomplish your sound with electronics swap if needed, or get dern close.

YMMV

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good advice, K-Frog. I'm getting used to the extra inch of scale length on my BTB 4-string but it definitely took some time and I still clam a note here and there after so many years with a Precision. On a 6 it may be a tougher jump.