Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez sr800?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jan 8, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, im selling my jazz bass FMT (cause i own some mney, cause i dont use it, and cause i have a 77`jazz) and someone offered me some money plus a ibanez SR800.

i used to have a while ago a sr400 which i didnt like. the specs are the same, but this one is made in japan and supposed to be better.

what do you guys think of this bass, how is it compared with the sr 400?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I have the RB800, and from what I've read, its the same thing pretty much...

In which...its great :D

3. the sr800 is a lot better in my opinion. I've had mine for 4 years and it's my primary bass for gigs. Check out the review section, there are 2 reviews of it, one of which is my own.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    It's a pretty nice bass if you like the light weight, slim neck, active EQ thing. Although I like my SR500 better. :cool:

BTW, I really dislike the SR400 as well. The 800 is a pretty big jump in sound and playability.

5. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    The SR800/RB800 is a great bass, especially the older Japanese models. BUT, you could buy a used one for $300-$400 if you look enough. I'd just sell the FMT for your best price and buy something cheaper, if that's what you're wanting to do. If it's just a matter of wanting an active bass to complement your passive Jazz, why not just get an outboard pre like a Sadowsky or Sansamp Bass DI and use your J with it? The SR800 will sound NOTHING like your FMT.

6. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    SR800's are nice for what they are.
    They play nicely, and have such a smooth, light feel to them.
    The electronics are fine as is, but ditch em for some Bart pups and preamp, and good suddenly goes to great. (I plan on doing this to my SR1200 sometime in the near future)

Anyway I say this based on the SR800 I've played.

subtraction likes this.
  7. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    the bigger the number, the better it is!

i got an SR300DX (my only bass in which i wouldn't trade for anything!), i love the feel of it, but i always wanted to change the PUPS... now i gots some EMG's, niiiiiice. and while the sodering gun is out, i'm gonna make a couple more mods if i have time (which i always do).

although i DO wish i had the SR3000E

8. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i had an 1987 SR805 with EMG`s and it didn`t had a good tone - nowhere near my current bass, and nowhere near jazz basses I`ve played - hollow, without good sounding lows. In my opinion it`s just to small to sound good as a bass guitar. It was built great, had a good fretwork, but just didn`t sound too good.

OLP i had sounded better.

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i know some nu metal artist as korn and limb bizkit used/use SR880 or so, so my question is, can this bass sound professional?

i dont like korn or LB, (i liked LB 1st albumn) but i like some alternative heavy music as TOOL, APC, or stuff like that, and the music im making now has that influence. the jazz bass has that solid sound, but doesnt sound bright and "new". can the sr800 help me in that?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I played an SR400 and SR800, with an SR645 on the side. My #1 bass was the stock SR400, just edging out the SR800. The 800 was best for recording, I just couldn't stand the finished neck.

The tone and playability of the 800 is certainly there, I just liked the preamp controls on the 400 better, and even the body shape (slight difference)

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

so you choose the 400 because you can stand the painted neck?

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, I chose the 400 for stage use because I couldn't stand the painted neck of the 800. I liked the preamp better for stage use where I could boost the mids as well.

13. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

but the problem is the looks, the feel or the sound?

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The SR800 sounds great, I just needed EXTRA mids due to the hard rock I was playing with scooped guitarists. I needed to bring those out to cut through. So the preamp on the SR400 was a great help there. They look just about the same, and I like the neck on the SR400 better, but I was really close to sanding down the neck on my SR800 for the same reason.

15. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    but dont the sr800 has 3 band eq?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It does, I just found the SR800 to be weaker in the mids than the SR400. Maybe the pickups, maybe the pre, maybe the woods, but I just know the SR400 cut through the mix a lot better.

17. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, it seemed like my treble/mids (whatever tone control) seemed a little week - nothing that a eq can't fix though.

Oops, nevermind, thats my RB800, guess the SR800 does have the 3 band EQ...

18. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

oh , i get it now!

19. merrell

merrell

Feb 25, 2011
    i just got an sr800 but i dont know what the knobs do. can anyone help me out? im trying to get a heavy metal sound and my may e string doesnt sound bad but the rest so quieter and tiny if that makes sence

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The SR800's from '87-'91 had 2 band preamps:

[​IMG]

From '92 on they had the 3 band:

[​IMG]

I haven't played an active 400, but the 800 blows away the original passive 400.