1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SRC6 (bass VI) + LaBella flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MandalaStudio, Feb 3, 2018.

1. MandalaStudio

MandalaStudio

Nov 20, 2015
    Hi guys,

I recently bought an Ibanez SRC6. It's an amazing instrument but I really hate the stock strings. They all feel too sloppy for me if tuned standard. I found the Labella flats which should be better since they're heavier (26-95), plus I love how flatwound strings sound. Reading forums I didn't understand if they will fit this bass or if the luthier will have to do some work on the bridge holes and tuners.

I know LaBella makes the Hellcat strings but they are nowhere to be found in Europe, and ordering them from the US is too expensive

2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
  3. MandalaStudio

MandalaStudio

Nov 20, 2015
    Thanks! You made my day :)

HaphAsSard likes this.
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Prego! :D

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I use the La Bella Hellcat flats on my SRC6. Yes the winding length are perfect for this Crossover. No mods were requited to fit them on.

IMG_20171126_1411125.jpg

IMG_20170826_1708259.jpg

6. mbene085

mbene085

Feb 24, 2018
    If you're willing to get creative, you can really open up your options by buying individual strings.

For example, on my Bass VI, I ordered Elixir nanoweb .095 and .070 bass strings, and then .056, .046, .036 and .024 guitar strings. The guitar strings were all long enough to fit, and it came out to $36, which is cheaper than most 4-string bass sets for that brand.

I did this because there were otherwise no coated sets available for a Bass VI. But, if you choose a brand that offers the same core/winding formula across bass and guitar strings (e.g. Nickel coated steel, stainless, etc), you could assemble any gauges you like.

I can't help you with flatwounds, but for roundwounds this is a cool trick you could try to experiment with strings that are otherwise unavailable for this category of bass.

Aaarn likes this.
  7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    ball end size would be problem on the SRC6 when using regular bass strings, unless you don't mind having large ball ends stick out the back of the SRC6 and messing around with your shirt (there's a TB member who didn't seem to mind with this actually).

8. mbene085

mbene085

Feb 24, 2018
    Ah, my bad. That wasn't an issue on the VI. I guess you'd have to drill out for bigger ferrules to make that work on the SRC6, then.

9. miroslawski

miroslawski

Nov 16, 2017
    Guys, I`ve put La Bella HC6-S Hellcat VI (026, .035, .044, .056, .075, .095) on my SRC6 and came to an end as far as truss rod turns. Neck is slightly curved (even more on the E string side) and my strings are quite high above fretboard (3,3mm above 12 fret). I can`t trun the truss rod more (I`m not forcing it). It is playable but could be much better - lower and more comfortable.

Did you experience that as well with Hellcat strings?

I probably need to take the guitar to luthier to replace the truss rod? Hopefully not the whole neck?

Thanks,

10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    nope, didn't experience truss rod maxing out on my SRC6 using La Bella hellcat flats.