Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ID this bass: "Basses 5 Loaded"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klocwerk, Sep 12, 2005.

1. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    That's what it says on the headstock:
    Basses 5 Loaded

Looks like a generic fender knockoff, has Bartolini J pups and a FAT neck. I mean seriously. you'd have no problem squeezing a 6th string on there if you wanted to.

My local music shop is asking $650 for it, which seems a little steep for the playability and condition, but I know nothing about this brand. I'm thinking that they just boosted the price since they very rarely have any 5ers in stock.

As for playing, i didn't plug it in as I was just sticking my head in on the way home from work, but the huge string spacing and giant neck were a little rough on my hands which are used to 4's. The setup was awful, with a lot of buzzing, but this store doesn't usually do setups on the stuff they've got on the walls, so it's probably just in need of a tweak or two.

Anyone heard of these before? Googled it to no avail...

2. I vaguely recall 'Basses Loaded' as a brand name- can't say if they were imported w/the aforementioned name slapped on or not.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    The store tag said UK on it, wonder if it was an english brand...

4. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    well I'll be, some more googling ran across an old thread from 2004 on talkbass 'for sale' forums, now deleted. Yay for google cache!

Purchased by him in Boston in '91, and it's back on the market in the Boston area now. interesting.
    Sounds like it used to be a solid bass, must be direly in need of a setup. Any Boston area TBers interested in a fat neck 5? Cambridge Music Center, Porter sq. :D

(Disclaimer: I would in no way profit by the sale of this bass, I was just curious about it's heritage.)

5. ...uh...I believe the politically correct term is "Brittish"...(proper spelling is optional; sorry.) ;)

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Oy, of course.
    sorry, long week at work. heh.

7. Been there!!! In fact; STILL there! :spit: Take care!
    :D

P.S. Any pictures? The link for the maker didn't show much these days. I'd like to see it.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

I'll try to swing by tomorrow and snap a shot.
    :D

9. Thanks!

10. Gotta love these new fangled camera phones huh?

~Ryan