1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ideal 6-string scale, spacing, radius e.t.c

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Has anyone had particularly good luck with a specific scale length, string space/gauge, fingerboard radius?
    I want to make a Fanned fret 6 string B E A D G C F, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

First off, you should probably stick with 6 strings on the 6 string ;) .

I would say that 18 mm is a fairly standard string spacing for 6 strings, 19 mm is fairly common too.

I like a flatter fretboard on a 6. I actually like a flat board, but probably 16"+ would feel fine to me. I also really like the compound radius on my Dingwall.

Scale length preference is different for everyone. I like the 37"-33.25" scale of my Dingwall. Some people like a 35", 34" or even 33" for their 5+ string basses.

I have a very early start on a new fanned fret bass. It's 35" to 30" scale.

3. ha ha true! 7 into 6 doesnt go!- How would you describe the feel of the 37 scale dingwall compared to like warwicks stingrays e.t.c??? (i wont have a chance to research that one, im in ireland and i doubt theres a Ding in the country)
    I also like a flatter radius... thanks for the reply its all irons in the fire:hyper:

4. aLSO WOULD YOU SAY THERE IS A PRONOUNCED TIGHTNESS ON THE B AND E STRINGS?

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ideal, huh? From what preferences???

I would consider fanned, too, probably 35-30. I like short instruments, they are nice to other peoples heads....
    And I have a 30" BEADG bass that's really great, yes, B included. Perhaps 32-28 would be good, too:)

6. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I don't think this question merits starting a whole new thread.

What is a good length to prevent the lowest string from sounding floppy and loose? 37" sounds like it would probably prevent that! When I do build my bass, I'd like the lowest strings to have a real nice ring to them.

7. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I don't find the feel to be much different between a 37" B on the Dingwall and a 34" B. One thing that I find is that it is easier to control the 37" B because it responds more like a "regular" string in that on many 34" 5+ strings I find that I have to baby the B string a little bit to get the tone I'm after.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I prefer multiscale, with the B being 35" or greater, and the C around 32"-33".

18mm spacing is fine with me, 19mm wouldnt bother me. Anything other than those 2 might be an issue with me.

I like a compound radius personally.

9. Hey buddy! you dont like-a da thread- you dont read-a da thread!
    This whole new thread has been very worthwile for me, i think Geoff and the others have given me some very useful input.
    Play on brother:bassist:

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a 6 string Dingwall(37" B)ash body a 5 string Fodera Imperial(35")Mahogany body,and a 5 string MM Stingray(34")and all three Basses are bolt ons and have the same string brand and gauge.I can definitely feel and hear a difference in each B string,The Dingwalls B is very precise and has a very consistently even flow and the tightness is just right,the Fodera Imperials B string is precise as well but also funky and very punchy with a nice bark while the MM Stingray's B string has that killer grit(like that sloppy funkiness that seems to be missing from most 5 strings to me).I personally do not care for the standard tightness that most 35 or more inch scale basses offer,so when I set up my action on my 35"scale basses and the Dingwall I make sure there is that just right looseness that I prefer but a lot of Bass players I know can't live with out a super tight Low B string.It all comes down to the feel of the Low B string and the preciseness of clarity.I have come to the conclusion that 35"scale or more are not for me(not only is the Low B tight but all the other strings are as well).

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Depends on the string and your preferences. I have a BassLab STD 5er 34", a SUBurban LoW 6er (F#) 34.3", and a SUBurban Vagabond 5er (B) 30". The F# of the LoW could be a bit more solid, but the B on the Vagabond is just great.