Identify these DAddario strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Warfender, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    I got a new bass with some nice sounding strings. I think they be Prosteels or Chromes but not sure. The I usually use nickles XL160 but these sound different and have different colored ball ends.

The balls go Gold (E) Red (A) Grey or light black (D) and Silver(D). Thanks for your input.

2. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Chromes are flat wound strings with purple silks on the ends. If these are round wounds, they aren't chromes.

3. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    All d'addarios have balls like that. You're missing some key info. Flats or rounds? Silk color or no silk at all? Prosteels or Chromes is like saying it's either a pastrami sandwich or maine lobster, they're two totally different things.

4. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    They arrpear to look like reg roundwounds. No silk ends. The ball color scheme is diffeernt from std. It usually goes, Brass(E) REd (a) Black(D) and Green (G).

these have a platinum/silver (G) in lieu of the Green in EXL160 that I always use.

5. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    sounds like the G isn't a D'addario

6. Really? I have a set that has blue silks on the ends.

7. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    There is a slight coloration difference between Di'Addario ProSteels and their regular nickels, ProSteels are more grey and less olive in color, and a bit less glossy/shiny. Do you have other strings to compare yours with? If they're similar in color to 'normal' strings, they ain't ProSteels. All IME.

Hope this helps.

8. Beefpatrol

Beefpatrol

Dec 18, 2011
    I realize that the OP was an eternity ago, but I believe they are Hartke strings.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021