Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identtify My Modulus :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I got a great deal on a used older 5 string modulus and am trying to figure out what model it is. It has a single 18 volt active emg pickup in the sweet spot and 2-band eq. Has a really cool looking pickguard as well. Anyone? BTW, it's the best sounding bass I've layed my hands on :) :hyper: :bassist:

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure on the name, but I wanna say "J-92" or something like that...IIRC, it was the "entry-level" Modulus in the mid 90's, listing just over $2K.

3. i cant identify it, but i love it. very nice bass

4. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm, that's a start, thanks for the info :) It's autographed as well, but i'm not sure who it is. The first name appears to be 'George' and the last name seems rather short. Any ideas on who that might be as well? I assume it's some bass player, but who knows.. It's color didn't come through in that photo, but it's almost chameleon'ish. It has a light turquoise faded into a light purple and looks different at a few light angles.

5. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Dude, it looks like it is autographed under the pup, if so, by who?

6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Oh, sorry about that, your post wasn't up when I posted. Oops. :bag:
    :bassist:

7. The model name is actually "M-92", as I recall. It was the entry-level Modulus, as RAM said, and was reviewed in one of the old Bass Players way back when.

Mike

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    1992 Modulus M92 – Predecessor to the Flea

[​IMG]

9. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Bingo! We have a winner. It was also called the "Sonic Hammer" if I remember right. It was pretty much the precursor to the Quantums and the Flea basses.

Nice example you have there. Looks great.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Precursor to the Flea, but it was out at the same time as the Quantum Sweetspot. It was the entry level model, as the Quantum Sweetspot was rear-routed and more expensive by a few hundred bucks. The Quantum was the 2-pu model of the Quantum sweetspot, which was one step up from there, and then there was a neck through Quantum.

Geoff Gould was still running the company back then.

11. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    may the signature belong to geoff gould?

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice bass. Quite a step up from the Spector eh?

13. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, definately :hyper: It's hard for me to appreciate a standard bass neck after entering the realm of graphite. The neck is so fast, consistent, and has perfectly leveled frets. It's the only bass I've owned that has perfect frets w/ out a single buzz anywhere w/ such low string action :) The electronics are extremely quiet as well and have a huge amount of headroom. I've played flea basses and other modulus basses before and this is definately my favorite. :bassist:

Here's another 5 string m94 I found on another website:

http://www.guitarhangar.com/guitars/modm925.htm