IE Oxide for Orion(Metallica)/Schism(Tool) covers?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thorsoundcore, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Capital district, NY
    I will be covering both Metallica's "Orion" and and Tool's "Schism" in just a matter of months for an annual shindig, so I'm in need of finding a fuzz/distortion that's out there and can cover the range of sound between both songs. How the different distortions sound in both to my ears made just one pedal come to mind.. The Iron ether Oxide.

Do you guys think this would be an odd choice for both songs? I acknowledge that neither are crazy, over the top synthy industrial rock sounding tracks, but I literally cannot think of a better choice. To my ears the distortion in Schism sounds partially synth like (probably due to the additional effects used as well). Also, when I think of the intro of Orion and it's huge waves of distortion.. something about it always made me perceived it as an almost machine-like radiating sound. The only thing here i'm unsure of is how the Oxide would do with the lead bass parts.

So what do you think everyone? Do all of you Oxide wielders think that it can pull of the sounds in both of these tracks? Or do you guys think i'd be better off trying my luck on another pedal?

*Just keep in mind that i'm not looking to buy Cliff Burton's/Justin Chancellor's exact effects at all. I'm looking for something different, probably more recent and versatile. Something that has a wide enough range of sound to where I don't have to look into multiple pedals.

2. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    If you really want to nail Schism the Whammy and delay are far more important than which distortion you choose. Not familiar with Orion but Cliff was using a fuzz right? Whatever flavor you like(the Oxide in this case) should be fine.

infamusblkdeath likes this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    For schism the dirt choice isn't so important like @Oneirogenic stated. That treble and mid bite JC has is much more important. He also uses a rat and not much else for dirt if I'm not mistaken. He has a fuzz wah too but that's either here nor there for your needs I think. Cliff did use a muff. That would most likely be your best bet for Orion.

The oxide is two fuzzes in one from what I understand. One side is brassmaster the other, I can't remember. Maybe a super fuzz??? I don't think so though. I know it is synthy though. What I would do, I'd get a pedal for each if you can swing it. For a muff, I really dig the stomp under foot civil unrest. What a grand muff it is!! It's probably one of the more versatile muffs I've ever tried. And muffs aren't always known for versatility. The abominable hail Satan is also a really awesome, very refined muff. If I had to pick one or the other for cliffs sound, it would probably be the abominable. Simply because it know it a little more then the civil unrest at the point.

As far as JC's dirt tone. I'd go rat all the way. Either a fuzzro rat/cat tail or a idiot box blower box. Actually the rat tail may be able to pull both these sounds off well. It can get very dirty to the point of fuzz territory with ease.

Now I've just named pedals I've used, own and like a lot. Sorry I don't have more to offer on the oxide. Everything I've heard about the oxide is good to great though. If your ear is set on it and you like what you hear in the demos and such, why not go for it. I seriously doubt anyone in the audience is gonna be like, hey!! He's not using a muff for that part in Orion!! It's gonna be bass to them haha I guess another good point would be the tone pot. Make sure whatever you get has a decent EQ/tone sweep. You'll have to go one way or the other for either one of those styles. A little darker for cliff, brighter for JC. Good luck at your shindig man!! Hope you kill it either way! Hope it didn't just make this harder either ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    infamusblkdeath likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021